Re: Daily News letters

I would find it hard to believe, Linda, that there are so few local writers in
the summer that the DN is left with publishing letters like the one Monday from
an enlightened Twin Falls resident suggesting that our school curriculum taught
the Columbine students to kill their classmates.  I welcome views from outside
the local community, but not at the expense of publishing local opinions.  The
"Letters to the Editor" space has looked suspiciously confined to the same size
space each day, unlike earlier editions.

Sorry to see your column go, you provided some unique insight into how the
Moscow and Latah County governments plug into state and national networks.  As
long as you aren't commenting on issues that are before the council, it's hard
to see a conflict.  As to election periods, you could certainly suspend your
column for a brief period if necessary, but perhaps one of the things the
electorate would want to consider in electing its officials is what they do in
and for their communities and what their views are.  One could certainly argue
that it would be a DISADVANTAGE to the candidate if he or she HAD to write a
few columns before running for office since the voters might more truly know
the candidates opinions.

So, now you will just have to submit your thoughts in a letter to the editor
and see if it gets published in the dinky space currently being allocated to
them.

Regards,

Mike

Back to TOC