Re: Moscow-Pullman Corridor

Priscilla-
I think you were right the first time.
Anyone who has watched this sprawl process can recognize the pattern:
1. Two-lane road connects communities
2. First commercial/industrial operations begin to appear along the roadway,
each with their own access point (our present reality)
3. Traffic and development pressure increase.  Road widens to four lanes
with center turn lane.  Access points cut to about one/mile with frontage
connector roads.
4. Commercial/industrial operations increase.  Traffic increases as people
choose travel out of community to make purchases at corridor businesses.
Commercial zones within communities suffer (more empty stores, etc)
5. Pressure increases in communities to extend services to corridor to
reclaim taxes (famous myth that growth pays for itself).  More commercial
activity along corridor.
6. Traffic at access points becomes safety problem.  Accidents occur as cars
turn left across highway to enter frontage road.  Traffic volume increases.
First stoplights appear.
7. More commercial activity.  Annexation of corridor to communities to
supply services and regain taxes.  All access points have stoplights.
8. Corridor travel becomes charming experience in strip malls and road rage
and stop and go traffic.

Each small decision we make now and in the future about that corridor will
have significant implications over the long haul.  Each step gets easier.
Each step has its own rationale, steeped in enlightened talk about traffic
safety, tax revenue, and managed growth.
BL