Re: vision2020-digest Digest V99 #61

At 01:31 PM 3/24/99 EST, Erikus4@aol.com wrote:

>And your Germany and England examples are not directly analogous.  If the US
>would have gotten on the problem early enough they might be more relevant,
but
>we now have a tremendous problem with criminals and firearms, and taking
>firearms from law-abiding citizens DOES NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM.  Criminals
want
>guns.  We CANNOT stop them from getting guns.  We're not trying to head-off a
>future problem, we have a problem RIGHT now.

I don't recall this being an issue of taking guns away from people.  The
issue was the legality and prudence of carrying concealed weapons in
schools and other venues.  The analogy was simply that the more restrictive
the gun laws, the less gun violence.  That was not a proposal for gun
confiscation.  It was a simple statement of fact.

>As for guns being stolen from vehicles...do you realize that many laws
require
>people to leave their guns in their vehicle rather than carry them?  If I'm
>carrying my handgun they'll just about have to kill me to get it.  If it's in
>my car they just have to take the car or forcibly remove it.

The law does not require that people leave the guns in an UNLOCKED car.
This is the issue I was addressing.

Please do better in the future to respond to my comments without twisting
them.

Thanks.
Robert Hoffmann                      817 S. Adams
Alt-Escape Adventures                Moscow, ID  83843  USA
http://www.alt-escape.com            Phone: (208) 883-0642
	             Fax:   (208) 883-8545

Back to TOC