Rep. Trail '99 Legislative wrap-up

Tenth Legislative Newsletter--March 14 - 19, 1999

The session is now over and constituents can reach me by phone at
208-882-6077, fax 208-822-0896, and e-mail at ttrail@moscow.com now that I'm
back in Moscow.  I received and replied to over 1,600 e-mail messages this
session.

The Legislature shut down on Friday the 19th.  Overall one could call this a
rather lackluster session but there were a few "gems" that passed.  I'll
outline some of the highlights according to my perspective of the session.

   1. Reading Initiative -- HBs 176/177/178 passed the Senate with only two
negative votes.  As one of the co-sponsors of the bills, this represented
the successful conclusion of a two year committee effort.  Approximately
$4.5 million will be allocated to the program, and funding support should
continue for at least five years.  This is one of Governor Kempthorne's
initiatives.

   2. Master Teacher's Bill --This bill  sponsored, by Sen.Schroeder, passed
the House today by a 41-24 margin.  Teachers who pass their National Board
Examinations will receive a $2,000 a year salary increase for the next 5
years.  At present we have 17 Master teachers in the state.  This bill will
serve as an incentive for teachers to enroll in the very difficult National
Boards. California is currently offering a $10,000 bonus for teachers who
have their national certificate to come and teach in California.

   3. HB 143 -- Recycling --The Senate defeated this bill by a 16-14 margin.
This came as a surprise since the bill passed the House by a 67-0 margin.

   4. Head Start --an attempt was made in the Senate to eliminate the $1.5
million appropriation by Sen. Ipsen.  The attempt was beaten back by a 20-9
margin.  The bill passed the House by a 45-23 margin.  The $1.5 million is
not state money but rather surplus federal funds in the Health and Welfare
budget.  The $1.5 million will be available for the next four years and will
need to go through the appropriations process each year.
Head Start currently serves 3,000 children, mostly pre-schoolers aged 3 to
6.  They represent the poorest of the poor.  The new monies will help
another 400 kids enter the first grade ready to learn.  Head Start helps
entire families break out of the cycle of poverty.  It helps parents be
better parents, and the result is more productive, self-sufficient families.

   5.   SB 1236--School Bond Guarantee Program -- The State did not
successfully tackle the problem of helping local school districts with
assistance for school facilities; however, Sen. John Sandy's bill will allow
state backing for school bonds.  This will guarantee school districts who
wish to participate an  AAA rating and lower interest rates.  Utah, which
enacted a similar program three years ago reported savings to school
districts of nearly $6 million on $380 million in bonds.  Participation in
the new program will also save the school district the cost of insurance on
the bonds.  This is a new and innovative program that will save districts
money; however, if the Legislature doesn't address the school building
shortfall, the courts may force its hand.

   6. Endangered Species Office --The House approved by a 54-14 vote the
creation of an endangered species office which would be attached to the
Governor's Office. I received a number of calls from hunters and fishermen
who opposed the bill.  It appears the Senate will hold the bill in the
Senate Resources and Conservation Committee.

   7. Immunization Bill -- This was one of the Governor's initiatives.  The
bill passed today by a 45-25 margin.  The bill will set up an immunization
registry.  Participation in the program is voluntary.  The Governor hopes to
raise the percentage of immunization of children two years of age and under
from 72 percent to over 90 percent.

   8. Drug Testing of Welfare Recipients --Rep. David Callister's bill would
have mandated that all successful applicants of temporary assistance for
families in Idaho undergo psychological screening designed to recognize
people with drug problems.  Applicants identified as potential drug abusers
would have had to submit to a drug test.  If they failed the drug test they
would have been declared ineligible for the benefit.  The bill was killed in
the Senate Health and Welfare Committee.

   9. Kempthorne's Early Child Development Initiative -- JFAC agreed to back
the Governor with an extra $500,000 for his initiative.  The legislation was
introduced very late in the session.  The bill passed the Senate but was
defeated in the House by a 54-14 margin.  The Governor was criticized for
not moving the legislation through the House Education Committee.  There
were some excellent ideas in the proposal, but introducing the bill late in
the session, and not through the germaine committee paved the road to it's
defeat.

  10. HB 318--State Medical Examiner -- The full house defeated this bill by
a 38-31 margin.  If passed, the State would have hired a full time medical
examiner to train county coroners, develop uniform rules for death
investigations, perform autopsies and testify in court cases.  This is a
good bill that should pass next year.

  11. Drop Out Notification Bill -- This bill was suggested by Moscow
residents John and Martha Bieker and introduced by Sen. Schroeder.  The bill
would have required school districts to notify parents before their children
16 or 17 dropped out of school.  The bill was defeated in the House
Education Committee on a 10-5 vote.

  12. Campaign Reform Dead for the Session -- The Senate killed the last
very simple campaign reform bill.  The last bill would have required
legislators to report donations they received within 48 hours if the money
was received during the legislative session.  The bill died for lack of motion.

Rep. Trail, district 5

 I would like constituents to e-mail, phone, fax, or write me with their
ideas, comments and recommendations.

by phone: (at the House Communications Center)

208-332-1201 or 1000  (phone)
208-334-5397  (fax)

by email:

Boise daytime:           ttrail@house.state.id.us
Boise evening:            mjmaxwell@juno.com
Moscow (weekends):   ttrail@moscow.com

if uncertain, you can send email to RepTrail@infotrail.com and your message
will be forwarded to me at the proper location.

or by normal mail

Idaho State Legislature,
State Capitol Bldg
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0038

Legislative newsletters and additional materials and information can be
located on my web
and home page http://www.infotrail.com/idaho/idaho.html

Back to TOC