vision2020@moscow.com: Re: Newspapers and the Community

Re: Newspapers and the Community

Joel Hamilton (hamilton@uidaho.edu)
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:02:22 -0700

Bert,

A Moscow-Pullman Coalition for a Better Newspaper sounds like a
worthwhile organization. I share your disgruntlement at the local rag an
scandal sheet trying to pass itself off as a community newspaper. Are you
organizing?

What names have you heard the paper called since it decided to
change its name from the Idahonian that we all knew and loved? The two I
hear most frequently are Daily Snooze and Daily Disappointment. Should I
take these as just evidence of a peculiar local humor -- or genuine
disenchantment?

For those of you who missed it, this morning's Lewiston Tribune had
an article saying that the LMT is now on the Web. Check it out at
http://www.lewiston.com/ It has a way to go, but it shows potential.
While I still subscribe to both the DN and LMT, I get a growing portion of
my news from the Web.

Joel Hamilton

At 08:20 AM 9/27/95, Cross Bert wrote:

>The point that can be inferred from my piece on newspapers (and one which
>I do) is that the people of Moscow and Pullman deserve a better newspaper
>than they are getting. Most of us would drop our subscriptions in a
>minute if there were any alternative. It is still about the only place
>where you can learn what is going on in the community. It would be great
>if we could dial in on our computer and pick up the local news. But that
>is some time away. Or is it? The Lewiston Morning Tribune used to
>actually compete with the Idahonian for Moscow and Pullman news. Now
>they are both owned by the same chain and real competition is gone.
>Anyway, it might be fun to explore possible alternatives and
>collectively we might be able at least to do something about improving the
>quality of what we have. Maybe we need a Moscow-Pullman Coalition for a
>Better Newspaper. It might get someone's attention.

This archive courtesy of:
First Step Internet