vision2020@moscow.com: Re: Newspapers and the Community

Re: Newspapers and the Community

Bill London (london@wsunix.wsu.edu)
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 08:47:53 -0700 (PDT)

Bert's goal is one I share, and one that I have spent some time and
effort trying to accomplish.
The alternative newspaper idea is one that I have had no success with,
so I then tried to figure out a way to get some community focus on this
issue through the Daily News advisory board. I was never allowd to join
the sacred group (surprised?), but have known several members of the
group in the past. I tried to convince them to bring their deliberations
into the open. My idea was a community forum, with the advisory board
hearing open complaints/pleas/suggestions from the community.
Of course, the board has no power. Such a community meeting
would likely have no official sanction from the paper. Perhaps it is
ridiculous.
Anyway, no one (of the board members I have discussed this with)
has been able to make this happen--or want to.
I don't even know if it's a good idea.
But I am writing it here as a spark for some discussion.
I also thank Bert for bringing this up in the first place.
BL-

On Wed, 27 Sep 1995, Cross Bert wrote:

> The point that can be inferred from my piece on newspapers (and one which
> I do) is that the people of Moscow and Pullman deserve a better newspaper
> than they are getting. Most of us would drop our subscriptions in a
> minute if there were any alternative. It is still about the only place
> where you can learn what is going on in the community. It would be great
> if we could dial in on our computer and pick up the local news. But that
> is some time away. Or is it? The Lewiston Morning Tribune used to
> actually compete with the Idahonian for Moscow and Pullman news. Now
> they are both owned by the same chain and real competition is gone.
> Anyway, it might be fun to explore possible alternatives and
> collectively we might be able at least to do something about improving the
> quality of what we have. Maybe we need a Moscow-Pullman Coalition for a
> Better Newspaper. It might get someone's attention.

This archive courtesy of:
First Step Internet