RE: Living document

Speaking of which, I received my letter from Senator Craig, thanking me for
commenting on the Homeland Security Act (I called him to tell him not to
vote on this bill).  Here is an excerpt:

"The US Constitution, truly a living document, has been interpreted many
different ways, but it still provides the basic guidelines under which the
federal government must operate.  Today some are questioning whether those
guidelines will be tweaked or stretched beyond recognition by the creation
of the Department of Homeland Security.
"In deciding this issue, Congress had to start with bedrock principle that
the first priority of any government is to provide for the protection of its
people and their rights.  President Bush justified his vision of a new
homeland Security Department as being neccessary for the defense of our
country against the distinctly different threat of terrorism is this new
century.  In this, he followed the spirit of the Constitutional delegates
who bucked the existing system of their day."

Wow.

It goes on to say that the intent is to reorganize existing agencies to make
them more efficient, this will take time and the bill is not perfect.  He
says he will stay involved to help shape the department to address "the
concerns raised by Idahoans."

I don't think dissenters, as said tongue-in-cheek by Mr. Wilson, will be
shipped off, but there is an incredible amount of surveillance powers given
to the federal government by this new bill.

I'm sure you're all aware that John Poindexder, a fellow involved with the
Iran-Contra scandal, is now in charge of intelligence gathering, and he can
gather pretty much any kind of information from any law-abiding citizen.
This, on top of appointing Henry Kissenger, an old-time insider compelingly
accused of war crimes, to head the independent commission investigation the
events regarding 9/11, is preposterous.

Craig implied in this letter to me, that President Bush "followed the spirit
of the Constitutional delegates who bucked the existing system of their
day."

Can you hear them screaming in their graves?

This is ridiculous.   Remember the original "Homeland?"  That was Hitler's
stage, before the Nazis swept Germany into fascism.

You may think this is an extreme example, but humans are still humans.
There are still power-craving leaders yearning to manipulate people.  What
is the stage our current administration is are preparing for us?

Senator Craig is either naive or deceptive if he thinks our "concerns" will
help shape a bill that is now law.  They should have addressed this before
over-whelmingly voting for this bill.  Those who voted for this need to be
held accountable.

Please question what is going down.  Even if it is not true, we cannot take
the risk to slip into another fascist regime.  I'd rather look like a fool
writing this than be complacent and not wonder at the events unfolding.

Peace from a freedom-loving American,
Garrett Clevenger