"Battles between truth and reality" or "Douglas, It's Simple, Really!"

I have not been rightly able to focus much attention to these
discussions of late, as items appearing on the list have been of actual
use, until recently. I suppose this is where I come in.

The discussion at hand is whether from one frame of reference a being
can truly relate to another with a considerable degree of validity as
viewed from either sphere.

Consider the following: Each individual experiences the world on a
subjective level only. There is no universal truth that can be perceived
by human experience. Two individuals experiencing the same event within
the same sphere of influence will have different perceptions regarding
the event and each other's experience of the event. Two individuals can
acquire a given concept, but experience this concept differently.
Distilling this concept to a form that either can understand is
interpersonal communication, which relies on a means of transport. This
means of transport is based on a series of other concepts that is
perceived differently by both parties.

Each common concept defined within our collective boundary acts on
individuals differently, as other individuals react to others exhibiting
degrees of the perceived trait. Honesty, for example, can never be a
subset of Tolerance, or vice-versa, neither can the perceptions of
either take firm hold in the absolute as the perceptions of such are
subjective. The more that we probe into these concepts the more we
realize that one individual cannot truly understand another, as that
would require one to assimilate another's existence into their own,
altering both the actual perception and the one perceiving. There is no
static confluence of the said constructs either, as perception, spheres
of experience, and relativistic contact between individuals are all in
flux. In other words, good luck in making people understand you.

Your proposal that human beings share an understanding is invalid under
the umbrella of absolute truth and logic. Each human being's sphere of
existence shares a commonality with each others', since we all are, for
the most part, human. Being human means that we do indeed share tiny
pieces of experiences on a level greater than or equal to rumour. On a
purely relativistic level that statement would be valid.

But it appears that you trust your perception of the world too much, as
many of us do. These "common experiences" such as appreciation of
emotions, crying while watching the sunrise, seeking human friendship,
beauty of passion between lovers, etc. sure, that's great. I am pleased,
as I'm sure we all are, that some of us can appreciate them and
understand them to a degree. Empathy and compassion are self-serving
concepts. For example, one does not donate to a charity out of
compassion, they do it because it will make them feel better about
themselves.

So, in conclusion, it is unnecessary to state the obvious. We have
commonalities unfortunately, no matter how small they would be.
Emotionally-charged drivel doesn't help me to see your viewpoint any
better, as I don't drink from the emotional trough of my fellow man.

Best regards,

Alan Partridge

-A non-member of the BBC or its affiliates, at home or abroad