Re: Revisiting Vandal football

Greetings Visionaires -

To answer Mr. Westberg . . . It is NOT the team.  It is the coaching that is to
blame.

In 1998, we went on to win the Humanitarian Bowl (against Southern Mississippi)
with less talent than we have now.  We have one of the finest linebackers in
the Sun Belt (including such defensive power houses as North Texas) in Jordan
Kramer.  We have the seventh ranked passer in the nation (all schools) in
Lindgren.  We have the talent.  We do not have the coaching.

Returning to Division 1AA (which will ultimately disappear in the next 5 or 6
years) is merely punishing the players for following the poor guidance of their
coaches.  And what would you suggest then, Mr. Westberg, after Division 1AA is
dissolved?  Drop to Division 2?  Division 3?  And play such colleges as Mount
Union and Montana Tech?

The answer is simple.  Replace Cable and his cronies.  Even Tormey looks good
now.  By the way, Tormey took a seriously down and out program at Nevada and
turned it around.  Nevada-Reno beat BYU this season and will hopefully beat
Bozo State next Saturday.

Once a Vandal, ALWAYS a Vandal.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

Tom Hansen
UI '96

> So on Saturday in Spokane, Eastern Washington beats Montana in front of over
> 17,000 rabid Eagle and Grizzly fans.  Down in Pocatello, Idaho State is 7-3,
> and ranked in the 1-AA national poll.  Boise State is running away with the
> WAC, and ranked in the top 25 in the AP and ESPN polls today.  What was
> Idaho doing?  Oh yeah, losing to Arkansas State in front about 47 people (by
> the end of the game), to fall to 2-9 and once again come dangerously close
> to being ranked dead last in Division 1.  This, of course, on the heels of
> last years 1-10 season.  On a weekend when we should be playing in a strong
> regional rivalry game, we'll close out against New Mexico State, while 8
> miles away, WSU plays the Huskies in the Apple Cup.  Is it just me, or is
> something wrong with this picture?  I brought this up at the beginning of
> the season, and now that it's mercifully ending, I repeat:  Why can't we go
> back to the Big Sky conference?
>

>           Carl Westberg Jr.

           http://www.fsr.net/

Back to TOC