Re: Value driven approaches

Douglas,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas" <dougwils@moscow.com>

Whose values? Why?

> Societies cannot function unless certain values are imposed and others are
> rejected. Whose values are worthy to be imposed by the force of law?

Everybody's

>Whose values are weighed in the balances and found wanting?

Everybody's

>Are these values fixed or do they fluctuate?

Both.

>Still curious after all this time.

Hope this helps.

>Just naturally inquisitive, I guess.

These questions are difficult to address in the abstract or general. To be
realistic,
one would have to note that values are imposed or rejected based on many
factors, including political will, logic, economics, practicality of
application, need,
cost/benefits evaluation, aesthetics, conventional moral and religious
values, taste,
etc. etc. Compromise may be one of the biggest factors. Our society thrives
on
compromise and it is inherent in the application of our values in terms of
implementation in law.

Bob Dickow

Back to TOC