POW- A Prisoner of War: An anti-war song

POW- A Prisoner of War
©2002 Garrett Clevenger

Chords:        Lyrics:
Am                 POW- the plane is shot down.  The
D                    pilot ejects above the town.
Am                 POW- he hits the ground and
D                    attempts to escape but is quickly found. He’s
Bm                 surrounded by five rifles and
C                    captured like a slave.
Em                 Tied up like an animal with no
D                    choice but to be brave.  He is a
Am                 Prisoner Of War.  A
D                    Prisoner Of War.  A
Am  Em         Prisoner Of War.

Am               Isolated.  His rank is erased.
D                  He has been fated to torture and waste &
Am               ropes and racks and lack of sleep and
D                  rotten food and memories deep of
Bm               home and love of child and wife and
C                  failed attempts to end his own life.  His
Em               nightmares gnaw him whenever he  sleeps.  His
D                  waking is worse when lonliness creeps.  He is a
Am  Em       Prisoner Of War.
D                  Prisoner Of War.  A
Am  Em       Prisoner Of War.

Am           Emotional strength stretches his mind to
D              defeat the torture and passage of time.  His
Am           endless hope to be released
D              keeps him alive within the beast.  To
Bm           return with honor a soldier is due.  His
C              perseverance will see him through.
Em           Would it be better to be shot dead?
D              Killed in action?  Blown up instead?  He is a
Am           A Prisoner Of War.   A
D              A Prisoner Of War.   A
Am  Em   A Prisoner Of War.

Bm               Splattered drips of red still trickle
F                   towards the door, across the floor that
Bm               broke the fall of one more victim,
F                   one more prisoner of a war that
Bm               stole compassion, showed us how
F                   war is hell when your a POW.

Em       Bb        Am        F       G       Em       C        D

C#m            Tattered clothes in shackled rows of
C                   skin and bones and eyes like holes.
C#m            Deep and dark, like dungeons, stark yet
C                   filled with terror.  It tears his heart.  It
C#m             sends a shiver down his spine.
C                   Another drip, a tear this time.

Bm       F       Em        C        D        Bm        F        G

Am                  No one would have noticed.
D                     No one would have cared.
Am                  No one would have ever known if the
D                     medic hadn’t dared to
Bm                  wonder why the prisoner was
C                     lying on the ground.  His
Em                  face so cold and breathless.  His
D                     heart could beat no sound.  He was a
Am                  Prisoner Of War.   He was a
D                     Prisoner Of War.   He was a
Am                  Prisoner Of War.   He was a
D                     Prisoner Of War.
Am      Em     He was left to die.  Why, oh,
Am               why?

This song was inspired by a Frontline episode about POW's in Vietnam I saw a
year or so ago on PBS.   Hopefully they'll broadcast this episode again for
those who didn't see it.  It was the most moving documentary I've ever seen.
I finished the song recently and want to share it.
My vision is that no one will experience what these POW's went through.  No
one should have to suffer like they did.  I hope Muscovites will prevent war
and the possibility that that our neighbors will be shackled as POW's.
Garrett Clevenger

"What are we doing to our Home?!:("

Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.