No Subject

Dear visionaries

We are rapidly approaching the two-thirds mark in the Idaho Legislative
session although I see in the Statesman that the Senate Committee dealing
with the tax cut proposal sent over by the House will not hold hearings
this coming week.  JFAC will have all the budgets set by Wednesday so
working out details on the tax package may take us up to the first of April.

1. Community Resource Program  --  I received more letters in support of
this program than any other issue this session.  The program has tremendous
support from parents, teachers, and administrators.  Health and Welfare
Social Workers in school districts have been able to help low income
families locate resources and help them solve many problems generally
outside the role that school teachers play.

Governor Kempthorne recommended funding the program at $6 million through
the Dept. of Education; however, the education committees recommended
funding continue through Health and Welfare but also indicated strong
support for the program to continue.  Last week JFAC zeroed out the budget
line item and sent $6 million to school district discretionary
funds.  Districts are supposed to fund the program from this source;
however, it just won't work. Many legislators are trying to get JFAC to
reconsider and fund the program through Health and Welfare. I sent a report
from the Whitepine school district indicating the positive impact on the
program from 30 different families to the Governor and JFAC.

We also heard a report on the Kids Count Project. Idaho continues to have
more of it's citizens slip into poverty. More than 21% of Idaho's children
are below the poverty line. This figure has been increasing since the early
90's. Over 50% of school lunches are subsidized in 180 schools in the
state, and the figure is 35% state wide. This is another indicator of
poverty. There are some disturbing trends that occur to these children.
They are twice as likely to drop back a grade or drop out of school. They
are three times as likely not to graduate from high school or reach reading
grade level by the end of the 3rd grade. Families living below poverty
simply do not have the support systems in place to cope as effectively as
families above the line. The outcomes are increased crime, violence, child
abuse, drug useage, and in the end society has to pay the bill. That is why
an investment in economic development to create jobs and the infrastructure
to support it is so important.

2. Palouse Aquifer Study  --  We received good news from JFAC. They
approved a request of $100,000 to fund Idaho's share of the Palouse Aquifer
Study.

3. Tussock Moths on Moscow Mountain  --  JFAC also backed funding for a
tussock moth control program on Moscow Mt. and surrounding area (possibly
up to 1,000,000 acres) in June. The State will guarantee funding the
program if needed with possibly a 10% match from private landowners. Our
Congressional delegation will attempt to get federal funding to replace
state funds. Scientists will continue to monitor the situation to see if
the program is needed.

4. Minimum Wage for Farm Workers  --  Sixteen BSU students took over
control of the Senate on Monday morning disrupting a memorial service. The
Boise SWAT team and law enforcement personnel were called in to arrest the
students.  Law enforcement reports that the students have links with the
WTO demonstrators in Seattle. The demonstration certainly did not help the
cause for minimum wage for farm workers. HB 71 which would not cover 40% of
farm workers and SB1029 which would cover all farm workers (and introduced
by Sen. Schroeder) were discussed in the Senate Commerce Committee. A
decision should be reached next week.  My position is that all farm workers
should be covered by the minimum wage. All other groups of workers in Idaho
(600,000 plus) are covered by the minimum wage so why not farm workers.

5. Whitepine School Facilities  --  HB 315 will be introduced in the
Education Committee on Tuesday.  Daryl Bertelsen, Superintendent of the
Whitepine School District, and a school board member will come down to
testify in favor of the bill. Basically, the bill would allow the State to
pay about $2,000,000 in interest on bonds to help build a new high school
for the Troy District. We need a 60% margin from the voters. This is for
severe safety problems in the district.  It is not a long term solution for
all of the state's problems but I will certainly be supporting the legislation.

6. JFAC made a major investment in medical services Friday, voting to
support the education of another dentist and four more doctors every year.
The state already has one of the lowest doctor-per- capita figures in the
nation. This is the first major commitment since the mid-1980's to expand
support for medical scholarships at the University of Washington,
University of Utah, and Creighton University.  Eighty percent of the
doctors trained return to Idaho.

7. Tax Cut Package  --  The House sent HB 275 to the Senate. I voted
against the tax package although I could support a number of the
components. There are so many details and consequences if this package is
enacted that I plan on sending out a separate newsletter later this week on
the subject. But I believe that with the surplus that this legislature can
provide significant tax relief to all Idahoans without breaking the bank
and crippling the education system.

Rep. Tom Trail, district 5
ttrail@house.state.id.us
Phone: 208-332-1202

  I would like constituents to contact me by e-mail me with their ideas,
comments and recommendations.

Legislative newsletters and additional materials and information can be
located on my web
and home page http://www.infotrail.com/idaho

Back to TOC