Re: ironic, ain't it?

I think you have this problem in all small towns.  It's because of the
mixed agenda's of the different residents and psuedo-political
entities.  On one side you've got people that moved to moscow because they
liked the small town feel and they want to get away from the big city neon
and corporate zoos.

On the other side, you've got people that never tried the big city, and
yet think they want big city things in moscow.  People that try to turn
moscow into what they aren't brave enough to go out and experience.  Or
maybe it's a power thing.  Maybe a lot of people that endorse these sorts
of things are just trying to control more of their environment by focusing
what external influences moscow gets.

One side wants a jazz festival with local musicians.

One side wants a Staples center.

jason

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Andrew Davie wrote:

> I'm opposed to the banner for more abstract reasons. It seems that
> more and more facets of our life are being invaded by corporate
> 'sponsership'.
>
> The same phenomenon can be seen with the Jazz Festival. What used to
> be a small and intimate community event has mushroomed under the
> "bigger, better, more" philosophy. Have you noticed that fully HALF of
> this year's jazz festival poster is taken up with corporate logos?
>
> More and more Moscowites are shunning the festival. I've heard reasons
> spanning from "it's gotten too big and crowded" to that it's "sold
> out".
>
> I remember the same thing happening with the Boise River Festival to
> the point where a citizen's group, Boiseans Against the River Festival
> was formed.
>
> Andy
>
> Dreading the day when the Farmer's Market is held in the "Walmart/AT&T
> Friendship Square"

Back to TOC