Re: ironic, ain't it?

I view this as being one step closer to transparency rather than being
ironic.

 We allowed our local bars to play a large role in guiding the evolution of
the Moscow Mardis Gras celebration. The Beaux Arts Ball was once a single
site event. It grew too large to accommodate space downtown and when it was
moved to a alcohol free University of Idaho site, both the bars and drinkers

protested loudly.  Mardis Gras has been not much more than a glorified bar
hopping event since.  Many moderate drinkers began to stay home.  It does
not surprise me that we have come to a point of juxtaposing beer commercials

to  Mardis Gras celebration and youth benefit ads.  I am saddened more than
offended.  What benefit to youth are a few measly dollars if the adult
recreational role models around this event are primarily alcohol centered?

                            "Alcohol advertisements overwhelmingly associate

                            drinking with positively valued activities
                            and consequences such as romance, sociability,
                            and relaxation and create a climate in which
                            drinking is presented as normal, appropriate and

                            benevolent. More subtly, the use of alcohol is
                            linked to happiness, wealth, power, prestige,
                            sophistication, success, maturity, athletic
ability,
                            virility, romance, creativity, sexual
                            satisfaction, and other positive images.
Adolescents who are
                            heavily exposed to advertising were more likely
                            to agree that drinkers possess valued
                            characteristics such as being attractive,
                            athletic or successful." (US Department of
Health and Human
                            Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health
                             Services Administration, 1994.

Cheers,
Jennifer

Bill London wrote:

> Today (2/23) I noticed a large banner hanging across Main Street at
> Friendship Square in downtown Moscow.
> The banner was divided into two halves.  The red half included the
> words: "Budweiser, King of Beers."  The white half included the words:
> "Moscow Mardi Gras, First Saturday in March, Proceeds Benefit Local
> Youth."
> The banners across Main Street there are hung by the City of Moscow on a
> permit basis, and are restricted to community groups, not commercial
> advertisers.  That city ordinance is designed to keep ugly billboards,
> especially those advertising commercial products detrimental to youth
> and the community, away from the downtown area.
> So, does anyone else besides me find this beer commercial masquerading
> as a community event announcement offensive?  or ironic? or disgusting?
>
> letter to the editor from Bill London, Moscow

Back to TOC