UI/WSU Dairy "issue"

Visionaries,
An article in today's(2/15/01)LMT stated that the
Departments of Agriculture at UI and WSU are exploring
the possibility of cooperatively developing a large
dairy in order to expand instructional opportunity.

I believe the 1,000 cow number was thrown around.

One concern the article mentioned was that dairies use
huge amounts of water. This is very true and should be
quite an issue in light of the apparently falling
water tables hereabouts.

Possible pollution from large amounts of dairy waste
was mentioned as well.

One concern that wasn't mentioned was odor.
If anyone has lived in an area near industrial
dairies, as I have, they know that odor IS something
that should be discussed in advance. The dairymen in
that area joked that their operations "smelled like
money," but the smell of crisp bills is much more
pleasant in my opinion.

On the whole, I'm not too sure this dairy "thing" is
all that wonderful an idea.
TL