Re: groundwater declining

I am glad to hear the generally well-informed discussion on
Vision2020 about our local groundwater issues.  A plentiful supply
of clean, affordable water should be as much a community issue
as bike paths and schools, and unfortunately, our water supply is
not something we can take for granted. For those that are
interested, read on.

You may already know that the Palouse Basin Aquifer Committee,
representing Pullman, Moscow, UI, WSU, Latah and Whitman
Counties, exists for the purpose of addressing the declining water
levels in our local wells and securing a safe water supply for the
future.  We have a goal to halt water level declines by the year
2020.

To clarify a couple of points
1. While it is true that of the four pumping entities, only Moscow
has exceeded the voluntary pumping limits enacted in 1992, I
would be hesitant to point the finger at them.  All four entities have
implemented conservation measures that have resulted an average
increase of 0.3% per year in groundwater use since 1992,
compared to the average of more than 1.1% per year in the
previous decade.  In spite of this, we continue to see water level
declines. Moscow is also the first of the four entities to specifically
earmark staff time to water conservation programs.  Contact the
Moscow Water Department to learn more.

2.  The Grande Ronde aquifer supplies 90% of the drinking water to
Pullman, Moscow, UI, and WSU. Our latest research suggests
that there is plenty of water available in the Grande Ronde aquifer,
but that water levels in the municipal wells have been declining at a
rate of 1-2 ft/yr for 50 or more years. We don't know how much
water we have left because we don't know the size and shape of
our basin. As several readers correctly stated, we also don't have a
good handle on the rate of recharge to our deep aquifer, although
we know it is slow to negligible. We have researchers that are
currently working on these issues.

3.  The boundary of our shared groundwater basin is just east of
Moscow city limits near the S. Fork Palouse River  (for the
geologically inclined, the eastern boundary is at the "Moscow
Mountain front" where basalt meets the granitic rocks of Moscow
Mountain).  This means if you live east, north, or south of this
boundary, you don't get your water from the "Palouse groundwater
basin". Your particular water supply may also be dwindling, but as
far as we know, your problem is not directly related to the pumping
by Moscow or the other pumping entities.

4.  Potential solutions include (but are definitely not limited to)
piping water from the Snake River. The Army Corps of Engineers
had a proposal to construct this project in the 70s, which, as I
understand the story, was narrowly defeated by a few members of
this Committee and community.  The Corps has revisited this issue
as recently as 1989.  Other solutions we are discussing include
utilizing surface water, groundwater from the shallow aquifer, or
treated wastewater for irrigation or artificial recharge to alleviate
some of the demand on the Grande Ronde. It is important to keep
in mind that we get more precipitation in our basin than water we
pump each year, so we could theoretically solve our problem by
simply reallocating the current fresh water supplies.

 As far as the questions posted originally by Sherrie,
5.  "Should residents be wary of purchasing homes outside the city
limits whose only source of water is a private well?"  I don't think so-
if you are a rural homeowner, a private well is generally your only
option, and a much cleaner source than using surface water.

6.   "Is it a "red flag" if a well has seen a decrease in
gallons/minute within the last ten years?"  Decline in well
productivity (measured in gal/min) can be due to variety of well or
pump construction/ maintenance issues. If there is not a decline in
water level, then it probably isn't an aquifer issue, you probably just
need to service your pump or well.

6.  "What is the possibility that homes purchased outside the city
limits today will no longer have water within the next ten to twenty
years or sooner?"  Again, it depends on where you are located and
where you draw your water from (and of course how your well is
constructed), but I don' t know the details of areas outside the
Palouse Basin.

Citizen input is an essential part of this planning process. We are
currently working with your elected state representatives (Reps
Trail and Young, and Senator Schroeder) to get some attention and
help from the state (and are doing the same on the Washington
side).  Let your local leaders know that you support conservation
programs, and keep informed about the issues. I post the agenda
for our monthly meetings on Vision2020.  There is more information
on our web site. Our 1999 Annual Report can be accessed on-line,
and our 2000 report will be published around the end of March.
Also, feel free to call me (885-4569) or your Moscow PBAC
members (Steve Busch, Moscow City Council,
steveb@moscow.com or Tom Scallorn, Moscow Water
Department, moswtr@attglobal.net) if you want to know more.

Juliet M. McKenna, Executive Secretary/Technical Advisor
Palouse Basin Aquifer Committee
http://www.uidaho.edu/pbac
University of Idaho
P.O. Box 443011