More info. on U of I veterans preference

Visionaries,
    I have indeed done more homework on this issue and have spoken to an employment official (who shall remain anonymous at their request).
    Idaho statute, title 65, chapter 5, section 65-520 basically states that preference must be given in hiring to veterans by all public employers in the State of Idaho.  the big question is whether or not the U of I is a public employer.  Further complicating that matter is the fact that The U of I is a "land-grant" university.  I'm not familiar with the stipulations and definitions of that term.  Perhaps someone could enlighten me.
    As to whether or not the U of I is acting in accordance with Federal law is addressed by the Federal Contractors Job Listing Program (FCJLP).  The requirements of FCJLP state that "the employer will take affirmative action to employ, and advance in employment, and otherwise treat Special Disabled and Vietnam-era veterans without discrimination".
    I believe the U of I is in full compliance at the federal level.  This program requires no preference in hiring, it only requires no discrimination of disabled and Vietnam-era vets.
    Therefore, the remaining issue is whether or not the U of I falls under the guidelines of a "public employer".  If so, then the U of I is in violation of state code.  If not, then the U of I is free and clear.  However, the question still would remain, should the U of I, and other state funded universities, be required to give hiring preference to veterans?

Travis Tonn

Back to TOC