Re: New High School

At 08:13 AM 2/2/2001 -0800, Duncan Palmatier wrote:
>John Danahy wrote:
> > ... A school districts primary concern ... must be providing a
> > quality education ...
>
>Dear Vision2020:
>
>This argument is all wrong.

I tend to agree.  If the school district focuses only on education, and the
police department focuses only on law enforcement, and stores focus only on
making money, and farmers focus only on planting and harvesting crops, then
we are not a community; we are merely a collection of self-centered,
autonomous groups and individuals, with no regard for our common culture
and humanity.  I know, John said "primarily," and not "exclusively," but
the one easily becomes the other in common practice.

I won't comment specifically on Russel, 1912, etc., but I agree with the
sentiment that our throw-away, no-deposit, no-return mentality extends
beyond beverage containers and into the very brick-and-mortar of our civil
society.

I remember the old Medina County Achievement Center (in Ohio where I
lived).  The school for handicapped children was long neglected; long
overdue for expansion.  Closets, hall ways, and bathrooms were converted to
classroom use.  When the people of the county finally found it in their
hearts to approve a levy, a grand new building was constructed, with
impressive, soaring ceilings, beautifully tiled floors, etc.  Then someone
got out a yard stick and found out that the new center had about 10 square
feet more classroom space than the old one.  What was gained by abandoning
the former building?  Impressive, soaring ceilings and a beautifully tiled
floor.

The energy crisis in California should teach us that we must treat all
resources as precious (yes, even things as plentiful and inexhaustible as
petroleum and buffalo).  Our physical infrastructure should also be
conserved.  I would not want a new school building built unless the
"retired" building would have something like 80% occupancy within a year of
the school relocation.  Any cost for necessary renovation should be
included in the package.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Bob Hoffmann
846 Mabelle St.