From: Mike Curley [mailto:curley@turbonet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 1:11 AM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: Re: New High School

Priscilla:

This is a very unofficial answer to your (and Kathy Warren's) questions.
There will, of course, be no new high school, or any other significant
facility improvement, in the District without voter approval after thorough
research, presentation, feedback, and revision as appropriate. There is
simply no way to build anything without community input and approval. There
have been no recent presentations by the district regarding facility needs.
I think that is because the district is still in the process of researching
a proposal to bring to the community--and to be able to fully answer
questions such as those you asked and hundreds of others that we will all
have. So, acknowledging that complete answers/suggestions/proposals are not
yet available, here is the best I can give you right now.

The District commissioned a study of all District buildings that culminated
in a School Facility Master Planning document that was presented to the
Board in approximately February 2000. There were several public meetings in
January 2000 and two town hall meetings at Moscow Junior High on Feb. 3,
2000. As a result of the study and public input, the District's Facility
Planning Committee (made up of community members, administrators, parents,
teachers, union representatives, and board members) recommended a long-range
plan to the board to ensure cost-effective maintenance of healthy and safe
facilities appropriate to the community's goals and visions for its public
schools. The first phase of the plan would involve construction of a 9-12
grade high school with classroom space for 850 and core facilities that
would accommodate expansion to 1000 when needed. The report contains a
detailed analysis of school populations and projections and is, of course,
available for review. It takes a long time to even create a reasoned
strategy to propose to the community--that is what the district and its
facilities committee are doing now. There will be other town hall meetings
and presentations to explain and obtain feedback on any and all proposals.

To answer the second part of your question--there are a number of possible
uses of the current high school once it would be vacated--which would
probably not occur immediately after a new high school was built--for a
variety of reasons. The building could, of course, be sold to private
interests, or there might be other public interests--city, county,
federal--that could be served at the current location. One area worthy of
consideration is the long- term need for expansion of the courthouse
facilities directly across the street from the high school. As voters we all
essentially own both facilities and it is possible that it would be in our
best interests to retain a public use of the current high school if it is
some day vacated. Even in the most optimistic projection, the current high
school building would not be available for transfer until several years from
now. There would be plenty of time to explore and solicit the most effective
subsequent use of the property.

When a proposal is more fully developed I hope that we can agree on the most
effective way to utilize Vision 2020 as a means of community communication
on plans to maintain our school facilities, whether by full report here or
notices of links to other sites containing those reports for those who are
interested.

Mike