Re: Chamber V. County Commissioner

At 01:06 PM 1/9/2001 -0800, Jerry L. Schutz wrote:
>There also seems to be a large misconception that the Executive Director is
>a City of Moscow employee.  This is not true.  The Moscow Chamber is NOT an
>arm of the City.  It is a private organization, whose mission is to promote
>business & economic prosperity in moscow, Latah County and the Inland NW
>region.

Jerry,

I think everyone is aware of your above point.  In fact, it is at the very
heart of the matter.  While our Constitution was formed with a separation
of powers between three branches of government (in order to prevent
abuses), it is easy to see that a lack of separation between commercial
interests and government can easily lead to abuses.

I will confess that I know nothing about Paul Kimmel, so I can't comment on
this matter in terms of personality.  But in structural terms, there is an
obvious appearance of conflict.  It is like being a coach and a referee at
the same time.  Saints can do both simultaneously in a fair manner, but
even saints would know that they would face allegations of favoritism.  Mr.
Kimmel must know that he subjects himself to repeated accusations by
holding both positions.  There is absolutely nothing unpredictable about that.

Bob Hoffmann
846 Mabelle St.
Moscow, ID  83843

Tel: 208 883-0642