Pre-Legislative Update from Rep. Trail

PRE-LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER

Visionaries:

First, I have some good news from Boise regarding the Idaho Promise
Scholarship Program:  the Governor in his State of the State address
recommended funding the Idaho Promise Scholarship program at the $6,000,000
level!

As for the legislature, I've just returned from Boise after attending two
committee meetings.  I'll address some general issues that came out of the
meetings as well as those that face us for the upcoming session.

1. Millennium Fund  --  I serve as a member of this committee.  Idaho
receives about 9 million dollars/year from the Tobacco settlement. This
will go up to $25 million/year in a few years.  All of the funds are
invested and we utilize only the earned interest for programs.  The
recommendations from the Committee to the Governor and JFAC are to support
tobacco and substance abuse prevention and intervention programs.  We
recommended funding for  catastrophic health care, tobacco counter
marketing, smoking cessations, youth asset building, youth courts, status
offender programs, adolescent pregnancy prevention, substance abuse program
evaluation, and youth surveillance enforcement program for tobacco
access.  We have about $3 million to spend this year. In another 5 years
Idaho should have about $10-$15 million a year to spend.

2. State Employee Compensation Committee  --  We reviewed the Governor's
recommendations for state employees. The returns from the PERSI gains
sharing program were reviewed by Alan Winkle, PERSI Director.  Active
employees will received about $60 million to put into tax free 401k
accounts.  Employers will received about $75 million which will be used as
credits against future contribution payments.  Retirees will received about
$18 million which  will represent about a month's extra benefit
check.  Checks go out this week.

3. Economic projections  --  Evidence is clear that the Idaho economy is
slowing down.  It appears that the Governor's Economic Projection Committee
will forecast a growth rate of about 2-3 % down from 6 percent from the
previous year.  Many rural areas in Idaho are in recession.

4. Taxes and Education  --  We'll probably have about $200 million in the
surplus to look at, but even some of the projected surplus is contingent on
future tax receipts.  I support utilizing the surplus to help build up the
education infrastructure, rural economic development, and help with medical
health insurance and care.  I've received no support from District 5
constituents for permanently lowering the corporate income tax rate or
individual income tax rates.  There is strong support from constituents for
property tax relief.  This can be coupled with support for our educational
infrastructure.

      There is also support for reducing or eliminating the sales tax on
groceries.  I support this approach.  It would cost the state about $100
million/year and the savings would be spent in local communities.

      I support taking $60 million from the surplus and providing every
school district with funding to relieve about 10% of their bond
indebtedness.  Schools that have no indebtedness would put their share in a
dedicated school facilities fund.  This would help the school facilities
problem as well as serve as property tax relief.  I also support putting
$25 million/year from the general fund into the school permanent building
fund.  School districts could then apply for funds on a matching basis for
school construction.  This would also serve as property tax relief.

      The Legislative strategy will be to try and resolve the tax cut
scenario early in the session.  There will be strong support to take about
$40 million from the surplus to help our universities to speed up building
process.  The University of Idaho could gain about $8-9 million for
construction of priority projects.  This is a great opportunity to use one
time money wisely.

      Faculty salary equity for institutions of higher education will be
addressed. The Governor, Legislative leaders, and the Idaho Association of
Commerce and Industry will be supportive.  Dr. Marilyn Howard, SPI, is
advocating increasing beginning teacher salaries from $22,000/ year to
$24,500.  This has my support.  I advocate a goal of  $30,000/year for a
public school teacher in Idaho. I'm also working on a loan forgiveness
program for teachers.  This would help in recruiting and retention of
teachers.  Teacher shortages are becoming major problems especially in
rural areas.

5. Rural Economic Development  --  Our rural areas are already in economic
recession.  I believe the Governor will announce an rural economic
initiative.  I proposed taking $40 million from surplus and setting up an
economic rural development trust fund with the interest being utilized to
help rural communities in attracting business and helping to build up an
appropriate infrastructure.  Improving education in rural areas would also
be needed to attract businesses.

6. Other issues of importance  --  I'll be supporting 1) minimum wage
coverage for all farm workers in Idaho, 2) legalization of industrial hemp
as an alternative crop for Idaho farmers, and 3) elimination of property
tax on farm equipment for farmers.

      There will be many other issues of importance that I'll write about
in the weeks to come.

7. Communications  --  You can send e-mail to me at
either  ttrail@house.state.id.us
or infocntr@lso.state.id.us

My desk phone is 208-332-1202
I can receive fax's at 208-332-1000.
My mailing address is
Rep. Tom Trail, Idaho State Legislature,
State Capitol Building,
P.O. Box 83720.
Rep. Tom Trail/Dist. 5

Back to TOC