Free Exercise of Religion act

>Visionaries--The Idaho Free Exercise of Religion Act which passed the last
>session but will not
go into effect until February 1st will continue to be a topic of
discussion.   Sen. Schroeder and I
have drafted a bill to repeal the law.  Under current provisions of the law
someone from the Aryan Nation claiming the "right" of religious freedom
could defend his right to hire only whites from
the Aryan National rolls or rent apartments to this exclusive group.  This
all under the name of
religous freedom which would circumvent our hard won civil rights.

I thought you'd be interested in the following letter from Jon Brown,
Methodist Minister, about
the FERA.

Rep. Tom Trail/Dist. 5

> [...]
>tenet and often questionable religious tenets."
>	TEXAS - "... the corrections demands would again feel the pressure
>and burden from religious demands set forth by the inmates; and, from a
>legal standpoint, we would not have a leg to stand on in the course of any
>litigation brought about by (this new bill)."
>	IDAHO - "(Under the new version) There will be more demands by
>inmates who use religious claims to single themselves out for what they
>perceive as preferential treatment....  Security issues will inevitably be
>compromised."
>	NEW YORK - "During its existence, RFRA cost the State of New York
>millions of dollars..."
>
>Some of the key backers in Idaho have their own interests.  For example,
>one wants to protect the LDS confessional.  But through this law he has
>provided religious protection to all men that sexually abuse and neglect
>children.  Key backers, having already excluded clergy from having to
>report child abuse and neglect, say that men, particularly religious men,
>are wrongly accused of these criminal acts.  But in the state of Idaho,
>with the highest child abuse rate in the US, it is not the men who need
>protection.
>
>Other special interests include the desire to restore the physical abuse
>of children in the schools, or "corporal punishment," outlawed now in
>Idaho.   Some supporters are very upset that the state shut down a school
>for such infliction of physical punishment.  It was all done in the name
>of religion, in a Christian school, under the rubric of Godly obedience.
>Do we want this protected?
>
>Another area is the denial of equal protection to women.  Remember, "wives
>be subject to your husbands"?  One supporter awarded employment benefits
>to his full time male church staff, while denying them to his full time
>secretary, who happened to be female.  When she objected, she was
>summarily dismissed.  Do we want to make this practice acceptable under
>Idaho law?
>
>And it's a nightmare in local government affairs.  Across the country,
>cities and counties find their hands tied and their budgets threatened by
>costs of litigation in matters affecting zoning, historic preservation,
>and nuisance compliance.
>
>Free enterprise will be burdened by creating an unlevel playing field.
>It is made unfair as some claim exemption from regulations that other
>competitors have to meet, such as employment law, ordinance compliance,
>and commercial code compliance.
>
>So in real life, this is a mess.
>
>This is not a return to a legal standard that represents our honorable
>past.  Far from it.  This is a radical turn into new legal ground that
>takes us into divisive, litigious and dangerous territory.  It will be an
>embarrassment to religion, and bad law for Idaho.
>
>I urge you to write your legislators to support the repeal of this

Dr. Tom Trail
International Trails
1375 Mt. View Rd.
Moscow, Id. 83843