Re: Republic

It would appear, as a consequence of your statement, that
constitutional provisions, developed for over two centuries, for
extending the federal franchise to all adult citizens (minorities,
women) legally qualified to vote, are in error, because they somehow
invite "mob rule". The principle of one man, one vote, is essentially
violated by the construction of the electoral college. Around l800,
when non-property owners, some protestant believers,women,Catholics,
Jews and Blacks (3/5 persons) etc. were not allowed to vote, "mob
rule" by means of demonstrations and wanton acts of violence against
authorities (like Shay's  Rebellion against injustices) were indeed
possible. Otherwise, it's really hard to know, at least in this day
and age, what you mean by "mob rule". As for the uneducated, most
American citizens can't even name those Constitutional amendments
that guarantee them freedom of speech, press and assembly, not to
mention the franchise for ALL American citizens -- let's see, was it
the 13th or 14th, no maybe the 15th or 19th -- aw, shucks, when did
women get the right anyhow? Have these changes promoted mob rule?
State's rights are protected by senatorial representation -- Delaware
gets two, so does California. Fair? No, but logical to prevent "mob
rule", I guess. Why don't you try another tack?
     As for Greek democracy, only the propertied MEN attended the
ekklesia, or polis assembly. A play by Euripides, called the
"Congresswoman", ridiculed male chauvinistic values that gave men
control over their lives. Maybe we haven't come very far after all
since 350 BC -- ? Think about it.