[Fwd: Minimum Wage for Farm Workers]

A couple people privately pointed out that I hadn't communicated well in
Friday's posting, and both asked:

Phil Batt thought what too?  There should be more Demos?

"Don H. Coombs" wrote:

> Former Gov. Phil Batt, a farmer himself and a Republican, worked long
and hard
> to get farm workers paid minimum wage, and I honor him for that. The
problem
> hasn't been (rank and file Republican legislators), the problem has
been the
> ultra-conservative Republican leadership, which is empowered by the
fact that
> 85 percent of the legislators are Republican. No one will be surprised
that I
> think we should have more Democrats down there.
>
> Oh yes: Phil Batt thought so too!

Yep, Phil Batt also thought there should be more Democrats. As evidence
I offer the lead editorial in the March 28, 2000, Spokesman Review:

"Republican Gov. Phil Batt was correct when he said more Democrats were
needed in the Legislature. He was concerned that lawmakers would fail to
debate important isues if everyone thought alike, belonged to the same
caucus, or was afraid to counter Republican leadership. His conerns have
proven prophetic."

---- Begin included message ----
D-
Good response.
Phil Batt thought what too?  There should be more Demos?
BL

"Don H. Coombs" wrote:

> > Dear Visionaires:
> >
> > I've been a strong supporter of the minimum wage for farm workers.
>
> Tom Trail is definitely on the right side of this issue. I would hate it, of
> course, if anyone thought I wasn't on that same side. (I'm running as a
> Democrat against Tom in the November election.)
>
> Former Gov. Phil Batt, a farmer himself and a Republican, worked long and hard
> to get farm workers paid minimum wage, and I honor him for that. The problem
> hasn't been Republicans like Tom Trail or Phil Batt, the problem has been the
> ultra-conservative Republican leadership, which is empowered by the fact that
> 85 percent of the legislators are Republican. No one will be surprised that I
> think we should have more Democrats down there.
>
> Oh yes: Phil Batt thought so too!
>
> Don Coombs

---- End included message ----

Back to TOC