Re: Moscow suicide

Carol:

It may be time for parents and students to rally.  Why not develop  parent/student
support teams where together adults and school aged children monitor and support at
risk and troubled students throughout their adolescence.  The school district,
social services, police departments, etc. could refer names to the group.  The team
would then contact the at risk student, if possible, get involved with student and
monitor his/her success though out his/her school years.   I say success because
with this type of support, all youth should succeed. All information exchanged
between the troubled youth and the parent/student group would be strictly
confidential, thereby creating a safe environment for the individual.   We don't
give our public educational system enough money to effectively monitor our
children's psychological well being, and with the confidentiality issue, this may
not be the best use of funds anyway. There might also be some grant opportunities
in this regard.  I would be willing to help spearhead such a project if there is
enough community support.

Relene Johnson

Back to TOC