Re: communication (was "Moscow suicide)

I always appreciate your considered comments, Lois, but I don't think a
"community relations officer or public relations person" is needed to
answer some basic questions from a media editor such as Diane Petit, or to
place the phone call later, nor a "PR student" in an unfunded internship. I
hope we don't put too much emphasis on finding a person or filter-layer
between the professionals in law enforcement and the media. A PR student
(unfunded intern) is best used in facilitating positive relations before or
anticipating an act, not in interpreting after a disaster. "Spin doctoring"
isn't what's needed at that time. It's direct communication between
experienced professionals.
	Obviously, I tend to agree with Bill London's concern. Of course,
we all make mistakes in judgement and most often will be second-guessed in
proportion with the severity of an incident.
	I may be misperceiving your intent, Lois; in any case I'll read on.

	...Leo Ames
	,,,Moscow

>The reason that there was no press release issued or other communication
>with the public is probably (my opinion) because there is no one in the
>district with that as their primary responsibility. There is no community
>relations officer (or public relations person). While there may be people
>who take on that role from time to time, my undertanding is that is not
>their primary responsibility, and on Tuesday afternoon, everyone was busy
>enough with their primary responsibilities, and doing a darn good job at
>that.
>
>With the district budget requiring a cut in staff, it is doubtful that
>we'll see a community relations officer added to the budget any time soon.
>
>The parent advisory committee at the high school tried to find a public
>relations intern from one of the universities for this spring, but did not
>get a response to our request. I believe we are still looking for one in
>the fall. If anyone knows a PR student who would like an unfunded
>internship, have them contact me.
>
>Lois Melina
>

>*****************************
>Lois Melina