Re: Moscow suicide

I don't understand, and thus have a difficult time sympathizing with, your
observation that it would have been insensitive to print the news of the
child's death in the evening paper. Or even, since it wasn't available
even the next morning, the next morning's paper.

Not providing the public with what is undeniably public information simply
leads to rumors and encourages caring people to call up and try to phrase
some question like "How is your son/daughter?"

There sometimes are situations where it serves the public to delay
releasing information. I can't manage to see this as one. I think Bill
London was right on.

Don H. Coombs

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Mayme Trumble wrote:

> Bill
>
> I think you were a little tough on the people involved. The child killed
> himself at the lunch hour and for it to be in the evening news is a little
> insensitive. The school stayed open last night to help students as much as
> they could. Very commendable for our teachers to give up their home life to
> care for our kids through this. Parents needed to be home yesterday when
> their kids came home from school with this news.
>
> Were they?
>
> Mayme Trumble
>

> Mayme Trumble
> maymet@moscow.com