Re: peer harassment

Bob,
One of the suggestions that was made at the last strategic planning meeting
was for "exit interviews" to find out why students are leaving the district.
It would be easy enough to enclosed a survey when parents request a transcript.

As for your comments on peer harassment, I personally can't quite make the
jump that you seem to think is obvious. What do you think is the solution?

Lois

At 03:32 PM 4/26/99 -0700, Robert Probasco wrote:
>Learning to cope with peer harassment is one of life's survival skills.
>
>Having said that, I also support the desire to minimize the extremes I
>have witnessed in contemporary society, whether it is NBA trash-talking,
>or the absurd excesses I witnessed in Vassar Meadows by the Boy Scouts
>about 7 years ago, when I had my Cub Scouts there for an overnight
>jamboree.
>
>(I thought this important thread had been lost in the current debate, so I
>decided to revive it.)
>
>So what's to be done?
>Schools have little influence over what happens in the home.
>Parents have little influence over what happens in the school.
>Rules may pacify those who believe gun laws would eliminate violence.
>
>Only the peers will have an effect on how other peers behave.
>
>If the kids have learned (by age 5-6-7) that harassment is unfettered,
>there will be no stopping it.  I believe this describes our current
>situation.
>
>Doesn't this point out the problem, and point to the solution?
>Or is something missing from my equation?
>
>	Bob Probasco		rcp@uidaho.edu
>
>From: Lois Melina <lmelina@moscow.com>
>>... I'd be delighted if we could reduce peer harassment, but how?
>>
>>At 12:56 PM 4/21/99 -0700, John and Laurie Danahy wrote:
>>>There is a common thread through all the shootings.  Peer harassment!!!
>>>What are parents doing to end teasing and put downs by their children?
>>>What are parents doing to help their children deal appropriately with
>>>teasing and put-downs?
>>>What should district staff do to support at school the parental efforts
>>>above?

Lois Melina
Editor, "Adopted Child" newsletter
P.O. Box 9362