Re: Moscow School District budget cuts

JOhn,

thanks for requesting input.

The last thing that I would like to see cut are teachers. I think we should
use this decline in enrollment to reduce class size, especially K-3. That's
the most important thing we can do to improve education in this community.
However, when we have teachers who are not effective, they should be cut,
especially when they have been around for a while and are at the top of the
pay scale, yet are burned out because they have been there so long and are
no longer doing a good job of teaching. And that should be done regardless
of the budget.

Yes to cutting the DARE program which I have never liked and has never been
shown to be effective.

No to cutting the Strings program which is just rebounding after being cut
the last time! The arts are vital--not a luxury.

Yes to cutting extracurricular activities, and yes I think the booster club
could do more to support athletics, while a similar community-based
organization should be organized to provide that kind of support to
nonathletic extracurricular activities. I don't want to see
extracurriculars become dependent on each student being able to pay because
that will exclude some, but I think parents can be asked to contribute, as
can the community, in relatively equal proportions. And perhaps it would be
possible to cut some expenses in athletics by going west instead of north
or south. It seems silly to send buses to Bonners Ferry but not to
Clarkston, and seldom even to Pullman.

John, how has the new PE waiver policy affected enrollment in PE classes?

Yes to applying for more grants, such as the federal grants available to
reduce school violence. I'd like to see an increase in school counselors,
both academic counselors and school psychologists.

Yes to reduced spending on books. With 70 minute class periods at the high
school, many students can do their work in the classroom and don't need
their own books. Many classes don't even need to be taught using books, but
can be taught using lectures/notes, reserve reading at the library,
handouts.

Yes to cutting the administrative position and I hope it is the assistant
A.D. It seems outrageous that we would have more athletic directors at the
junior high/high school than school psychologists! And I felt that way even
before this past week. Plus, I like having Sally Greene in the classroom as
she's a great teacher and relates to students in important ways.

No to the school security agent at the h.s. I don't think that's the
answer. I'd rather see that money used to fund another school psychologist
at the h.s./jr high where we now have only one.

Good job for protecting the new accelerated/AP courses at the high school.
We should not be reducing quality because we have reduced quantity of
students.

Lois Melina

----------
> From: John and Laurie Danahy <JDANAHY@turbonet.com>
> To: Vision2020 <vision2020@moscow.com>
> Subject: Moscow School District budget cuts
> Date: Sunday, April 25, 1999 8:55 PM
>
> The MSD has been experiencing a declining enrollment (200 students) over
the
> last couple of years.  This has produced an expected budget shortfall for
> the 99/00 school year of @$500,000.  This shortfall, coupled with some
new
> programs and $150,000 needed for employee's salaries (steps and columns),
> means we need to cut $700,000 from ongoing spending for next year.
>
> The district's Administrative Council has provided the Board with a
initial
> proposal to make cuts totaling $700,000.  This is done by eliminating
some
> small programs, (strings, DARE) reducing the amount spent on books and
> asbestos by 1/2, reducing extracurricular activities by $60,000 (@10%, no
> cuts in programs), cutting 1 classified, .7 administrative, 9.3 teaching
> positions, and some other small funding cuts.
>
> This is a first proposal, and the Board is seeking patron input.  We are
> looking for positive solutions to the current problem.  Predictions for
> future enrollment show a continuing decline in students (another 200
> students by 2003).  Some alternative suggestions already made have
included
> an increase in the override levy. Please e-mail me with any questions,
> concerns, or suggestions.
>
> Thank you.
>
> John
>
> John and Laurie Danahy