Columbine H.S.

During all of the discussion about this tragedy, I have yet to hear anyone
talk about the pattern that our cities are now built in, compared to the
pattern that most of us (or at least our parents) grew up in. These
suburban communities are shocked that "it could happen here" because they
moved away from the big city to get away from all of the threats. Much of
the move to suburbia has been an attempt to segregate ourselves from any
part of the greater society that we don't want to deal with, i.e. anyone
who is different from us. We pretend that economic class, or race, or some
other outward symbol makes everyone within that group the same, and we
generalize about which group is good and which is bad.  All of the kids who
have perpetrated these crimes have been "different".  Is it any wonder, in
a world where most children grow up in a homogenous community, that we
don't have any respect for differences. That lack of respect makes any
differences into a negative character trait and magnifies the importance of
them to that person's character.

On the other side are the prejudices that are being promoted by some those
who are different. The ideology of hate that espouses violence against
those who treat you badly because you are different. The ideology that
tells kids they can create a homogenous corner of the world through force
that caters to their difference, i.e. the separatist Aryan nation idea. Its
appealing because this on-line community may be the only place these people
are shown any interest or respect - because their physical community has
shown them only the opposite.

We have always had a certain amount of class segregation in our cities. But
the scale was much smaller in the past and even though rich and poor might
not live on the same street they were all part of the larger neighborhood
community. Their kids went to the same schools and had to learn to deal
with each other. The parents shopped at the same corner stores and had to
be polite to each other. That rich diverse mix did a lot to teach all of us
how to get along better with each other, especially with those who are
different from ourselves.  It seems that most of us no longer want to learn
to get along with those who are different, but prefer to pretend that we
can escape to a world where sameness spells safety and piece of mind.
 Maybe that piece of mind induces us to believe that we no longer have to
be polite to or show any kind of respect to someone who doesn't share that
sameness. Maybe we're teaching our children that they only have to be nice
to the kids that look and act like they do.

Another part of this scenario is that we have created a world where
children's lives are so controlled and scheduled that they have few
decisions to make on their own. We decide for them much of where they are
going and when. We take them there (they are hardly ever responsible for
getting there themselves) and we pick them up. If they are home with
nothing scheduled its difficult to find a friend who is readily accessible
because they are probably scheduled into something else or they don't live
within safe walking distance and there is no transit and no one is
available to drive them. The subdivision may not have any open space so
even if they find a friend the visit probably is spent indoors, maybe
around a tv or video games. The opportunity is lost to try out solutions in
the fantasy world of play.  The opportunity is lost for them to learn from
all of the small decisions one must make when you walk to and from school,
when you play sandlot baseball with no adult interference, when you get
yourself safely from your house to a neighborhood destination, when you go
to the corner market on your own, etc. Then we act surprised when they
can't figure out good solutions or they show poor decision making skills on
bigger issues as they get older.

We can't change this world over night. In the meantime we must make
reasonable provisions to keep our kids safe. It appears from early reports
that the school in Littleton had their head in the sand on certain issues.
Boise schools do not allow gang attire.  They do not allow hats to be worn
in the school.  They have students who are trained to act as peer mediators
in disputes. Some of them have adopted a school-within-a-school team model
to effectively reduce the size large schools by creating smaller schools of
different teams. There are still kids who feel outcast and we should be
doing more.  Some suggestions are anonymous tip-lines for students to
report troubling behavior or activities. Classroom time spent on teaching
individual respect and respect for differences.  Access to after-school
programs for kids who otherwise go home alone to tv or vide games every
afternoon. There are many more.

But none of those reduce the need to look at the bigger long-term issues of
how our communities function - or don't.

Elaine Clegg
Co-Coordinator

Idaho Smart Growth Project
P.O. Box 374