vision2020@moscow.com: Re: Alleged civil rights violations

Re: Alleged civil rights violations

Bill London (london@wsu.edu)
Fri, 29 May 1998 08:34:07 -0700

While I certainly sympathize with the people who have been accused through
this list of various crimes and conspiracies, I continue to support both
this list as a vehicle for community-building and the non-moderated free
flow of ideas that makes it work.
I would like to respond to Dale's question below ("how can we build
community when we tolerate such nonsense?").
First of all, Dale used the word "nonsense" in an apppropriate manner.
Really, how seriously do the readers of this list take such conspiratorial
ramblings as we have read about judges, attorneys, etc writhing around in
wild, drugged abandon?
Second, the author of that posting most recently responded with a
willingness to talk, in an open public forum (the Moscow Community
Retreat), NOT about the accussations, but about building bridges to the
police. That seems to me to be exactly community-building.
I certainly don't think community-building through this list means only
polite conversation among affluent and quite satisfied professionals in
this area. We need to hear from all parts of this community--including the
dienfranchised, angry, and chronic poor spellers.
BL

At 04:29 PM 5/28/98 -0700, Dale Goble wrote:

>A week or so ago I asked the people who have been making unsubstantiated
>accusations about the police, the judiciary, and others to state the facts
>on which they base their conclusions. Jack Porter made a similar (and
>more eloquent) request recently.
>
>The response was more of the same: unsubstantiated accusations -- the
>everybody-knows-that-x-does-cocaine type of statements. If there have
>been any factual statements that support the accusations, I have missed
>them. We who fail simply to accede to the truth of the statements are in
>denial.
>
>On the one hand, it is tempting simply to note that at least two of the
>people who have made the accusations were apparently convicted of some
>crime; they believe that their convictions or subsequent problems were
>unjust. Every attorney has stories of clients who believe that they are
>the object of a conspiracy, that "the system" has treated them unjustly.
>They are people who will let no opportunity pass to tell you of their
>wrongs. Such stories soon assume an air sheer implausibility. We are
>being asked to believe that everyone from the local police through the
>federal government has conspired to deprive these people of what they
>believe they are due.
>
>On the other hand, however, the accusations that have been made are
>extremely serious: named individuals in this community have been accused
>of illegal drug use and other crimes. Such statements damage individuals
>and their standing in the community. It is unconscionable for a list that
>is committed to building community to tolerate such statements
>particularly when the accusers have repeatedly failed to provide any
>factual support for their statements.
>
>How can we build community when we tolerate such nonsense?
>
>Such statements are defamatory. The individuals who have made them have
>failed to provide appear to have no reasonable basis for making them. As
>such they are subject of liability for the damage that they cause.
>
>The internet is widely hailed as inherently democratic and empowering: it
>allows individuals to broadcast their beliefs widely. This list seems
>dedicated to the proposition that free exchange of ideas is good. But
>democracy requires that speakers accept responsibility for their
>statements. There is no place in the free exchange of ideas willful or
>reckless defamation of individuals.
>
>Dale Goble
>Moscow

This archive courtesy of: