vision2020@moscow.com: Re: Previous notes from mystery writers

Re: Previous notes from mystery writers

Mayme Trumble (maymet@moscow.com)
Fri, 22 May 1998 09:17:45 -0700

Dear Vision 2020 readers

I made very much the same comment as Kathleen several days ago but my post
never appeared on the list. I am not sure why. Does anyone have any ideas??
Maybe I just did not send it correctly but I don't feel this is true. I can
understand peoples fear of retaliation; but, I still do not take much stock
in unsigned information. How can you? Anyone can say anything they want
with no accountability. OH, by the wa, my Eudora email program does not
have a spell checker. Excuse me.

A police review board sounds good to me. Someone to deal with rumors and
problems the community experiences seems reasonable.

Mayme Trumble
maymet@moscow.com
883-8321
Moscow, Id.

At 3:05 PM -0800 5/21/98, Kathleen Warren wrote:
>Dear Vision 2020 subscribers:
>
>This is from a note on the list May 15:
>
>>Many of you have had a lot to say about Mary Jane Gaughan's letter
>>posted to the web site.
>Then there is a reference to "America's Most Wanted" to "investigate
>what was happening here in Moscow." I have searched the archives and saw no
>previous
>letters that "many of you" could refer to.
>Who is Mary Jane Gaughan, and when and where was her letter posted to what
>Website? There are no Gaughans listed in any of the towns, small or large,
>in the community phonebook.
>
>Up to the last month, Vision2020 has been real people who live in the
>community, or past residents (than you, Kenton for your continued interest
>and involvement), and if someone has had a really interesting or
>controversial, or what we might feel is not informed, perspective that
>might need further discussion, we have names of people we can call for a
>meeting, give them other names or offices for resources to check, etc.
>
>In short, we have been open in giving our full names and the addresses of
>legitimate community isps.
>
>Suddenly we get notes from obviously anonymous writers using .writeme.com
>and .notme.com with "gussie" "cookie" (attached to jane@notme.com).
>
>I'm wondering if I'm alone in feeling that no matter what right they have
>to vent whatever agenda they have, with a justifiable cause or not, none of
>us should feel we have to engage in discussion on their topic nor should we
>tolerate being castigated for being apathetic or lukewarm. If they are
>community members and have reason to remain anonymous they might at least
>explain. Otherwise, to me, they could just be list surfers (and I've tried
>enough lists to find that listsurfing and venting anger is a favorite past
>time of a small number of verbal cyberfans). There are plenty of lists with
>anonymous participants where topics are discussed in the abstract, and
>anger is exchanged with incredible intensity. Correct me if I'm way off
>base, but Vision2020 was started as a community forum and reason and
>courtesy were implied (may even have been expressed) conditions for
>participation. Action and follow-up were also implied, if not expressed,
>expectations. For the most part, I think our discussions have followed
>both conditions.
>
>Kathleen Warren

This archive courtesy of:
First Step Internet