Re: meeting re: pool

John Danahy (JDANAHY@turbonet.com)
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:44:18 -0700

Laurie Danahy
jdanahy@turbonet.com

Lois, your perception of the meeting matches mine, exactly. I've been very
frustrated as I tried to articulate what happened at the meeting. I
couldn't even explain it to John (who I happen to live with and who shares
this e-mail address), which somewhat explains his earlier post. Thanks for
sharing your wordsmithing abilities!

I, too, feel that a well-crafted survey after the bond levy is critical for
further planning and development.

Laurie
----------
> From: Lois Melina <lmelina@moscow.com>
> To: vision2020@moscow.com
> Subject: meeting re: pool
> Date: Wednesday, April 15, 1998 2:35 PM
>
> John Danahy recently questioned why no posting was made about a meeting
last
> week between some of the Vision2020 folks and pool committee folks. This
was
> a meeting that grew out of Jo Williams' suggestion that we go beyond
posting
> our thoughts on the pool on this list to exchanging them in person, with
the
> hope that we would see each other's points of view and develop some
consensus.

> Priscilla Salant took up this challenge. Her idea was to get a few people
> together to see if we could come to some consensus before getting a whole
> roomful of people together. She is really a community-minded,
conscientious,
> inteligent, brave, level-headed woman, and I'm very pleased to have
gotten
> to know her better through this process.
>
> So we met. There were a few members from this list, some members of the
pool
> committee, and Pam Palmer and Tony Johnson from city council.
> The meeting was facilitated by volunteers from the Martin Peace
Institute:
> Ed Krumpe, Chuck Harris, Bill McLaughlin, and Curt Brettin (?).
Everyone's
> goal, I think, was to come out of the meeting backing the same idea for a
pool.

> The short story is: we didn't. We didn't even come close. But it was
still a
> useful exercise. Although no one's thinking changed much, I think we have
> better understanding of why we all feel the way we do.
>
> I think the one clarification that I got from the meeting and that I
> continue to hear from city council is that the pool design that we've all
> seen is "conceptual." There can be some tweaking of that design. What
isn't
> clear is what the parameters of that concept are, or what constitutes a
> tweak. For example, if there is sufficient money available, would it be
OK