Re: Comp time

Joan Berney (JBERNEY@novell.uidaho.edu)
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 15:16:48 PST

So does this mean that expertise and profitable input are
limited to exempt employees? And they are the only ones who put
in hours that are not technically counted? Guess again.

Joan B
Date:
15 Apr 98 14:07:26 -0800 From: "Robert Dickow"
<dickow@uidaho.edu> Subject: Re: Comp time To:
vision2020@uidaho.edu

>I was going to mention earlier that university faculty and other staff
>in the "exempt" category are not subject to the rules applying to
>"classified" positions. In particular, they do not accrue "comp" time,
><snip>

>Under these rules, anytime I post is "company time". On the other hand,
>I'm sure the state would approve of my sharing my "unique expertise"
>with the citizens I'm paid to serve... :-)

>Lori Sodorff wrote:
>>
>> It would seem, after ready a portion of Gov. Batt's posting regarding use
>> of State computers by state employees, that we will be sing a significant
>> decrease in postings generated through the university server. Or at least

I don't plan on decreasing my usage of the university server. I already
observe the common sense regulations. As for the more ambiguous 'unauthorized'
messages, I would argue that anything I choose to post has a bearing, however
indirect, on my creative research as a composer/performer. Now what about
that 'unauthorized purchases' part? Can I legally place that email order for
some siberian irises for my garden using the university server? Sure...I
think. Isn't that ok'd by the 'short message...like a phone call.' authorized
usage?

Will common sense apply to the enforcement of these rules? Sure.

* Bob Dickow (dickow@uidaho.edu) \\// *
* Associate Professor of Horn/Theory/Composition *
* Lionel Hampton School of Music/Univ of Idaho *