Re: Comp time

Robert Dickow (dickow@uidaho.edu)
15 Apr 98 14:07:26 -0800

>I was going to mention earlier that university faculty and other staff
>in the "exempt" category are not subject to the rules applying to
>"classified" positions. In particular, they do not accrue "comp" time,
><snip>

>Under these rules, anytime I post is "company time". On the other hand,
>I'm sure the state would approve of my sharing my "unique expertise"
>with the citizens I'm paid to serve... :-)

>Lori Sodorff wrote:
>>
>> It would seem, after ready a portion of Gov. Batt's posting regarding use
>> of State computers by state employees, that we will be sing a significant
>> decrease in postings generated through the university server. Or at least

I don't plan on decreasing my usage of the university server. I already
observe the common sense regulations. As for the more ambiguous 'unauthorized'
messages, I would argue that anything I choose to post has a bearing, however
indirect, on my creative research as a composer/performer. Now what about
that 'unauthorized purchases' part? Can I legally place that email order for
some siberian irises for my garden using the university server? Sure...I
think. Isn't that ok'd by the 'short message...like a phone call.' authorized
usage?

Will common sense apply to the enforcement of these rules? Sure.

* Bob Dickow (dickow@uidaho.edu) \\// *
* Associate Professor of Horn/Theory/Composition *
* Lionel Hampton School of Music/Univ of Idaho *