vision2020@moscow.com: Re: Palouse Ec. Vitatity Summit presentation

Re: Palouse Ec. Vitatity Summit presentation

Priscilla Salant (psalant@moscow.com)
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 16:09:46 -0700

Isn't per capita income higher in Latah County because university students
are counted in total population and therefore bring down the Whitman
average? I believe that calculating per capita income for each county
without students would provide a more accurate reading.

-P Salant

----------
> From: Steve Cooke <scooke@novell.uidaho.edu>
> To: vision2020@moscow.com
> Subject: Palouse Ec. Vitatity Summit presentation
> Date: Wednesday, September 24, 1997 9:46 AM
>
> Dear Visionaries,
> Enclosed is the power point presentation I made at the Moscow
> meeting of the Palouse Ec. Vitality Summit. I was the first speaker
> and charged with giving an historical overview of the Moscow-Latah
> economy. Instead I gave a comparative overview of the Latah-Whitman
> Co. economies and demographic growth.
>
> It was an interesting exercise.
> I was struck by the close relationship betw'n UI & WSU growth #'s and
> those of their respective cities and counties. I was also surprised
> at the size of the two county economy - approximately $1.2 billion
> per year. Finally, I was surprised to find that Whitman is a
> significantly poorer county than Latah on a per capita basis - about
> $2,000 less per person. These figures are from two sources primarily:
> the Bureau of Economic Analysis and the Bureau of the Census, both in
> the U.S. Department of Commerce.
> Steve Cooke
> Associate Professor
> Dept. of Ag. Economics & Rural Soc.