vision2020@moscow.com: Re: 9-22-97 Board of County Commissioners Public Hearing

Re: 9-22-97 Board of County Commissioners Public Hearing

Greg Brown (gregb@corecom.net)
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 01:02:10 -0800 (AKDT)

At 12:08 PM 9/17/97 PDT, Latah Planning & Building wrote:

>To take testimony regarding an amendment to the Moscow Area of
>Impact Ordinance (Latah County Ordinance #122):
>
>10:00 a.m. - MOSCOW AREA OF IMPACT: To consider a proposed
>change in the Moscow Area of City Impact Ordinance. The proposed
>amendment provides for county administrative review of each
>subdivision plat approved by the city.

Visionaries:

This is long overdue although it appears to be too little, too late.
Why the
county abdicated its authority for planning in the most important and fastest
growing area in the county *in the first place* is still a mystery to me.
In general,
it is antithetical for politicians to abdicate legitimate authority unless
1) they do
not perceive any threat from the divestiture of power, or 2) they do not
want to be
involved in sticky and controversial issues because these would weigh
heavily on their political careers. Only former commissioners
Johansen and Solomon can answer this question. The abdication of
power by the former county Commissioners in the Area of Impact of Agreement
was the single most important political action affecting growth and development
around Moscow. Those that live in the Moscow area are now living with the
consequences of that action...
So why the change in thinking now? The county now says, "sorry...we want
some control back..." Who is behind this proposed action? What are the
motives?
Some would say the horse is already well out of the barn...what say you?
One final thought... this action may help the County reassert some
control over the
*quality* of development but it will do little about the *quantity* of
development.
Until the County reasserts itself in the area of *zoning* in the Area of Impact,
urban development interests will continue to pave the Palouse.
Greg Brown (gregb@corecom.net)
Asst. Professor, Environmental Science Dept.
Alaska Pacific University
4101 University Drive
Anchorage, AK 99508
(907) 564-8267