vision2020@moscow.com: Re: IHC Grant

Re: IHC Grant

Kurt Rathmann (rath9362@uidaho.edu)
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 09:48:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Kenton Bird wrote:

> Another possible speaker for the community retreat is Doublas Kelbaugh,
> professor of architecture and urban design at the University of Washington.
> He's the author of "Common Place: Toward Neighborhood and Regional Design."
> I'm not familiar with his work, but he might be easier to line up for the
> event that Kuntsler. Perhaps one of the architects on the 2020 list who
> knows Kelbaugh might comment on his suitability as a speaker or panelist.

Hi all,
Doug Kelbaugh spoke at the UI about 4 years ago - to a packed lecture room
in the University Classroom Center. He spoke about his work that focused
on pedestrian-friendly, human-scaled, public-transit-connected "new urban"
or "neo-traditional" communities. His earlier work countered the
omni-present automobile culture that affects all development in a negative
way. I haven't followed him recently - so am unfamiliar with the book
cited above by Kenton - nor have I really followed this thread closely,
but as my old roommate often says: "Its worth a phone call."

Kurt Rathmann

This archive courtesy of:
First Step Internet