vision2020@moscow.com: 24 Hours in Cyberspace goes live (fwd)

24 Hours in Cyberspace goes live (fwd)

Bill London (london@wsunix.wsu.edu)
Tue, 7 May 1996 08:28:52 -0700 (PDT)

Interested?
BL

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 20:55:32 -0800
From: 24 Hours in Cyberspace listserv <update@206.85.20.22>
To: update@www.cyber24.com
Subject: 24 Hours in Cyberspace goes live

On Tuesday May 8, "24 Hours in Cyberspace" goes live at: WWW.Cyber24.com.

Hi,

Well, as you may have noticed, we are just a little late late in officially
launching the finished "24 Hours in Cyberspace" site. We'd hoped to have
it up and running by mid-March but every time we thought we were done there
was "one more" feature that we just had to add....

Finally, today, May 8th, we're ready to welcome you to a site which we hope
you'll find fascinating. If you paid us a visit on February 8th all you saw
that day was the tip of the iceberg. Now we have something we believe
really captures the human face of cyberspace. Please check out:
WWW.Cyber24.com

It's taken us three solid months to review all of the thousands of
pictures, email and stories that poured into our mission control room from
around the globe on February 8th. There were so many emotional and
evocative stories, it turned out to be much harder to figure out which ones
to include in the finished site.

We're also now hard at work on a big coffee table book that will be
released in October. The book will feature the best stories, many pictures
not published on the web site PLUS it will come with a CD containing the
entire web site PLUS the latest version of Netscape so you'll be able to
browse it locally. Also, on the end pages of the book (and on the CD)
we're printing the names of everyone who signed the walls of our "digital
cave" on February 8th.

When you come to the site today you'll see that every page and every story
has been completely redesigned since February 8th. In addition to dozens of
new stories and pictures, we've made it much easier for you to find your
way around. We've also used the past three months to take advantage of some
of the web's coolest new tools.

The site that you'll see today is still just the beginning. On the 8th day
of each month for the rest of the year we'll be adding 20 new stories.
Please bookmark the 24 Hours in Cyberspace site and make it a regular stop
on your net exploration.

Also, please let us know what you think. Should we do this again? How can
we do it better? Please send us email at: Cyber24RS@aol.com

Here is a sneak preview of the "24 Hours in Cyberspace" stories released
for the month of May:

EARTHWATCH

Wiring Inuits: In the far reaches of Northern Canada, a stone age tribe
enters the space age with computers and wireless technology. Their plan?
Use the Net to save ancestral lands and build links among the widespread
Inuit tribe.

INTO THE LIGHT

Building Bridges Through a combination of efforts, black and white, local
and international, a computer center in the local police station opens
doors for the young people of the Nelson Mandela township.

Cyberspace Schooling: R. Lee Steffen is a bright kid, but he didn't do
well in his rural Montana school. Now he attends classes at the Athena
Preparatory Academy--on the Internet.

BES Linear Accelerator: Can cyberspace help track down a charmed quark?
Scientists in the U.S. and China collaborate via the Net to track down
elusive subatomic particles.

Online Hate: Ernst Zuendel's slick website for disseminating neo-Nazi
propaganda has attracted a wide following. It has also led to a split
between Internet users who believe free speech means no restrictions and
those who say there should be limits.

2020 Vision: Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad governs a small
country with big plans for leapfrogging into a totally wired future.

OPEN FOR BUSINESS

A Minute of Your Time: Working at the speed of his fingers, Dan Hurley
writes the story of your life in a minute, while you and the rest of
America Online watch over his shoulder.

The Web Way to Fame: The House Jacks, a San Francisco a cappella group
finds its fans in cyberspace -- and saves money on postage.

Emailing a Future: When the cost of communications in Vietnam and
Cambodia nearly halted a relief agency's good works before they began, two
cybersavvy brothers created an online path to distribute seed money to
entrepreneurial women.

Virtual Checkbook: Inuit Software started with a simple idea: a program
to balance your checkbook on the computer. Now they are poised to help you
transfer money from your account to anywhere in the world without ever
touching an ATM.

SEX, LIES AND WEBSITES

Lick Sisters: Exotic dancer Paisley Lick wouldn't be caught naked without
her website.

THE HUMAN TOUCH
Circle of Support: When Debbi Hood Johnson's husband died of AIDS, she
became lost in grief. Debbi turned to Computer AIDS Ministry, a New York
BBS, to find her way back.

News They Can Use: An Orthodox Jewish family living in the occupied West
Bank depends on CNN Online for uncensored news about the world outside
their compound.

Go, Girl! : Girls need role models says Laura Groppe. So she created a Web
page, an online mentoring service, and the Girls InterWire newsletter, all
focused on helping young women become comfortable with technology.

Universal Health Care: Information is power, including the power to heal.
That's why health workers in Africa and elsewhere are spending time in
cyberspace.

A Search for Life: Everyone has different reasons for creating Web pages.
The purpose of Vrushali Ranadive site was to save her life.

Georgia's Real World: Blindness, and later in life, deafness have never
stopped Georgia Griffith from learning and growing. But she didn't fully
inhabit what she calls "my real world" until going online.

Can't Repress the Net: The military government in Burma tolerates no
opposition within the country. But as Burmese exiles in India have
discovered, it can't control the Internet.

(Reminder: Some of you signed up for information on our permanent site -
others of you signed our Guestbook on February 8th. We'll be sending
messages on the 8th day of each month this year, telling you about that
month's new stories.

If at any time you want to remove yourself from this list, just send a
message to update@www.cyber24.com, and say "unsubscribe <your name>" in the
body text. )

-- 30 --
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~