Re: Free Speech Forum and March for Human Rights...

Don Kaag et. al.

I emphatically agree with Ms. Huskey's comments on freedom, civil rights and
the military.   The sacrifices of the men and women in the military are
supreme, we all know this and respect it, even if we disagree with the goals
of particular wars and military actions.  But what of those who DIED, some
of them white, in the fight for the civil rights of Blacks in the civil
rights struggles?   What about those who deliberately flaunted the authority
of the government and military on principle by refusing to fight in the
Vietnam war, and went to prison (when they could have ran to Canada) as a
protest?  What of those who stood up to the anti-communist paranoia in the
fifties and were ruined as they refused to give names to the big brother
style government committees who were ruining peoples lives with their lists
of communist sympathizers?  I could go on giving examples of the ways in
which Americans support and defend their freedoms without being in the
military, but the few examples I gave make my point.

And Ms. Huskey is correct when she asserts that the military is also
connected to forces in America that work to restrict our freedoms.   It has
been said that no nation that is often at war is really free, that freedom
simply cannot co-exist with a society that is at war.  And there is no doubt
that the military brass and the Bush administration are now pushing war for
reasons that are not just the noble goals of national defense, oil, the
military/industrial corporate connection, and personal power being other
motivations among many.  This statement is certainly supported by currents
trends since 9/11.   Our civil liberties are being taken away in frightening
ways, and the justification is the current "War On Terror."  And if anyone
thinks the military mindset of the Hawks in the Pentagon and the Bush
administration have maintaining our civil liberties as their top priority,
they have not been paying close attention to the horrific erosion of our
rights currently underway.  What is the point of defending the USA from
terrorists when we throw away the freedoms and legal protections of our
liberties that are what we our fighting for?  It seems to me the terrorists
are winning the battle with every civil right Bush, Ashcroft, the Pentagon
and the courts allow to be trampled on.

I think American's need the courage to face the fact that a free society may
be more dangerous.  That's one of the prices of freedom.  As Ben Franklin
said, "Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither."

Ted