RE: Free Speech Forum and March for Human Rights...

Minor correction....

Rights are not 'granted' or else they are not considered rights.  They are protected or guaranteed.  You are granted a license to drive a car.  You have a right to peaceful public assembly.  You are granted an audience with the king (in olden times).  You have a right to keep and bear arms (except under Federal law in the 9th circuit).  You are granted a license to do business in the city of Moscow.  You have a right to confront your accusers at a fair and speedy trial.

Rights are (supposedly) protected by the Federal government and that often requires force at the barrel of a gun.  Whether that force was used in suppressing Germany's bid for world domination during the 40's or whether it was the National Guard in getting rid of the suppression of blacks in the south in the 50's there are lots of instances where our military has protected our rights and we owe them a debt that is difficult to comprehend if you weren't there.

Yes, the Federal Government is stomping on our rights 'right and left' at the moment (9th circuit ruling last week for example) and we need to protest and demand our rights back.  The detaining of 'enemy combatants' with being charged, given access to a lawyer, etc.  is another blatant infringement.

But I find it difficult to fault the military directly.  It's the politician that are passing the unconstitutional laws.  It's the executive branch that is enforcing them and coming up with their own twisted, tortured, logic that they escape being held accountable.  The military doesn't really have many options short of a coup at stopping a lot of the infringements.  Yes, many of the infringements are to make their jobs easier and they have taken the ball and run with it.  Just as most of the other beneficiaries of the other rights infringements have done over the years.  Should it be stopped?  YES!  Do I blame them for the problem?  Not really.

And before you Democrats get too self-righteous read this: http://www.lneilsmith.com/democrats.html

And as I said nearly three years ago during a different attack on our rights:

Inalienable rights are not asked or pleaded for.  They are demanded and taken, by force if necessary.  Stop this unjustified attack on our unalienable rights.

        Joe Huffman
        February 2, 2000

-joe-
----