Re: Douglas, It's Simple, Really!

Doug et. al.

Irony, Doug, remember?  Everyone knows how complex these issues can get!

And Doug W., all I can say now is that you proved to me we are in different
universes!  More to follow on this later, because your post deserves a
thoughtful and careful reply.

Doug J., really, I offered no "proof" of anything in my post.  You seem to
be imposing certain assumptions.     I agree that fact and logic can be
challenged and subverted to the point it appears there is no neutral ground
to define either.  You appear to misunderstand my statements and intentions.

I am not a logical positivist, for one thing, though I point out that A. J.
Ayer probably would assert that he is not imposing his metaphysic on anyone
because his philosophy undermines the status of metaphysics as a form of
knowledge that can be "talked" about.

My basic assertion in my post was that proof of the correctness of any
ethical system, Trinitarian Christian ethics or humanistic progressive
ethics etc., is difficult if not impossible to "prove."  In fact it is you
who needs a strong proof that your ethical propositions are ultimate and
grounded on something more than passing standards of human culture and
biological evolution.   I do not require such a strong proof for my ethical
propositions because I do not assert my propositions have the same grounding
in ultimate metaphysical reality as you assert that yours do.  I openly
admit I have difficulties proving my moral and ethical rules are an
expression of some sort of ultimate lasting standard grounded in the
structure of the universe.

I tend to see all forms of knowledge as incomplete and fraught with logical
difficulties, even logic itself, so I think your metaphysical assumptions
implode also if they are challenged deeply enough.

Your suggestion that we argue on the list "internally,"  seeing which
worldview lives up to its own standards, is an impossible project given your
own assertion we have no neutral ground of logic to "fight with."  If there
are no consistent rules of thought shared between differing metaphysical
systems, where is the basis for one system to judge if the other system is
being "logical," and communicate this judgment  comprehensibly across these
metaphysical systems?  A shared neutral ground of logical assumptions?  You
threw those away!

In fact we may not be able to communicate with each other and make much
sense at all about anything if there is no common ground of logical
assumptions we can "fight with."  What a relief!

As I indicated, all metaphysical systems and systems of knowledge have
limits and contradictions and incompleteness, and your worldview does not
differ in this respect from many other competing worldviews.
Unless you truly do have the ultimate truth in Trinitarian Christianity
revealed by a God who created the universe, which is possible!  Now I have
already contradicted myself, which proves one of my points here, does it
not?

Ted