From: Joan Opyr [mailto:auntiestablishment@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 03 December, 2002 20:33
To: Vision2020 Moscow
Subject: Dog catcher maybe, school board no

Dale asks:

"If you 'support, promote, and celebrate diversity,' does that mean you would be my champion if I were to run for the school board?  Wouldn't I bring the most diversity to the school board, and, therefore be the best possible candidate?

"Curious if you'd champion my cause..."

For a Trinitarian, Dale, you’re betraying some very one-track thinking.  No, I would not support your hypothetical candidacy for the Moscow School Board.  Diversity, you see, is not the only thing I support.  I also believe in feminism, racial equality, democracy, universal suffrage, gay rights, and The Great Society, and I try to balance all of these concerns when making a political decision.  To put the case in perspective for you, I also wouldn’t support O. J. Simpson’s appointment to the California Parole Board.

Now, would you like to explain exactly how your presence would diversify the school board?  Are white Protestant heterosexual males currently underrepresented?  (If you’re none of these things, please correct me as I’ve clearly misread your posts.)  Or do you mean diversity of opinion, i.e., you would bring to the work of the Board your desire to dismantle the public school system?  If that’s what you’re talking about, well, by your logic, I could diversify my feet if I shot one of my toes off.

Yours truly,

Auntie Establishment

(Joan Opyr to my mother)