Re: forum should not be partisan

Tom Trail responded to my posting about tonight's economic forum (which is
sponsored by public agencies that should not be involved in providing partisan
political support to any candidate) giving Schroeder an unfair campaign boost.
    When I asked, Tom later told me I could send his message to the V2020 list.
    See his message, with my original post below it
BL

> >Tom Trail wrote:
> >

> >> Bill--you raise an interesting point.  No doubt,  Sen. Schroeder was invited
> >> to attend
> >> because of his Chairmanship of the Senate Education Committee.  However, as
> >> in the
> >> eye of the beholder  it might raise some flags just before the election
> >>in terms of
>      of lacking some perceived balance.
> >> One idea would be
> >> to bring in someone like Rep. Chuck Cuddy (D) who is on the House Rev
> >>and Tax
> >> Committee.   This might provide some "perceived" balance.   I'm already
> >>committed
>      the evening of the forum.

> >> Dr. Tom Trail
> >> International Trails
> >> 1375 Mt. View Rd.
> >> Moscow, Id. 83843
> >> Tel:  (208) 882-6077
> >> Fax:  (208) 882-0896
> >> e mail ttrail@moscow.com
> ------------------------------

>> >    The Palouse Economic Forum, an economic development coalition
>> >comprised of local governmental and private agencies, is sponsoring a
>> >public meeting on Wednesday featuring the presidents of both Palouse
>> >universities.
>> >    I have no problem with that kind of public discussion, but what I
>> >find both surprising and improper is that a local politician, Gary
>> >Schroeder, will be sharing that podium as a featured speaker.
>> >    Schroeder is involved now in a tough re-election campaign, and this
>> >forum provides him with an unfair advantage in that race.  He will have
>> >a chance to advance his own political perspective and rhetoric without
>> >having to share the stage with his political opponent, Duncan
>> >Palmatier.  The forum provides an unwarranted and unethical boost to
>> >Schroeder's campaign.
>> >    All this in a well-publicized event taking place two weeks before
>> >the election.
>> >    The sponsoring groups are supposed to be non-partisan.  By law and
>> >convention, they are not supposed to choose sides in political
>> >campaigns.  Their decision to showcase a political candidate during the
>> >campaign season at this forum is an example of either extreme naivete or
>> >real impropriety.
>> >    My suggestion: move the forum until after the election, or replace
>> >Schroeder on stage with another local legislator who is not involved in
>> >a political campaign, like Tom Trail.
>> >    BL

Back to TOC