Re: DISCUSSION/Doug's proposal

suggestions have surfaced...including Ted Moffett's idea that I should become
the list moderator.
    Thanks, but no thanks.
    I do not want to see V2020 become a moderated list.
    Since its inception, a decade ago, V2020 was seen as no more than a public
forum, the proverbial "soap box in Hyde Park," where everyone from Moscow could
share in a free and open exchange of ideas.  Pretty radical and crazy idea, huh?

    No censorship, no control, no management.
    A few years ago, I attended a conference on new media.   I was an invited
panelist, discussing V2020.  No other community email list came close to the
size, community-wide representation, and free-wheeling spirit of V2020.
Everyone else was totally envious.  We have created a remarkable example of a
public forum that works.
    Yes, this recent deluge of bickering has threatened the list and its
openness.
    I still believe in the idea, however, and will not participate in activities
that I feel weaken it.  Thus, I do not support the creation of alternate or
second lists.  I welcome the voices of the Dougs and others who are part of the
fabric of this community.  And I do not support changing V2020 to a moderated
list.
    I say, let this experiment in new communication and electronic
community-building continue.
    BL