Re: Whose God is gonna whoop whose God's fanny!

Chuck:

Excellent post!

First off, a minor point:
Some mystic traditions do give measurable results on earth before you die
from following certain mystic practices.  Yogi's following a "religious"
tradition can attain amazing control over their bodies (heart rate, oxygen
consumption, etc.), that has been documented by science.  And on this
subject, now we have a challenge to the practice of Yoga in a public school
in the USA due to the separation of church and state issue.  This is just in
the news now!

Your view of Religion as a "social technology" is a very instructive way to
view the hidden agendas of many religions, which is social control and
power, not "virtue," as you point out.  And your point about the
progressives with their "religion" losing this battle over social control
and power is a great starting point to address how to proceed to challenge
the power base of conservatives, with money at the top of the list of what
brings social power.  Thus we have the fundamentalist Christian George Bush
in the White House, who won (stole!) this office with the most expensive
political campaign in the history of humanity!

Their is no doubt the fundamentalist Christians used their God to whoop
Gore's God's fanny!  And the "God" of cash ruled!

You might be referring to me in your post as one of the "liberal courters"
of Doug Wilson, due to some of my recent vision2020 posts that express an
attempt to understand Wilson's views.  Part of my reason for trying to
understand other viewpoints is that I do have a progressive's "faith" in the
currency of ideas, as you put it, and the value of rational fact based
discourse.

But your point about the realities of human minds, that we are selected for
"disease resistance not intelligence," while not quite accurate, does hint
at the ugly realities of what you aptly termed "social technology."
Politicians run on lies.  People fall for it.  And politicians who try to
run on the "currency of ideas," which I assume means honest rational fact
based ideas, may lose when people fall for the lies or irrational emotional
appeals of their opponents.  Religious leaders use the same tactics of
"social technology" to gain power!

Progressives do need more unity and less arguing among themselves, as you
suggest.  This point was screamed during the last presidential race
regarding the Nader voters (I was one!), who it is clear now in hindsight,
did cause Gore to lose, though really GORE WON (even with the Nader voters)
according to the INTENT OF THE VOTERS, in both the US and Florida!  Maybe
this means the progressives need to wake up and use more of that diabolical
"social technology" ($$$$$) to push their agenda, and less of that "faith"
in the currency of ideas, as you suggest.

The Republicans certainly used diabolical "social technology" ($$$$$), not
the strength of their ideas, when they bought televised advertising to
promote Nader, knowing Nader voters could secure the victory of Bush!

But this is just in part what caused the Nader voters to defect from the
Democratic party:  the Democrats had compromised that very "currency of
ideas" till the point they sounded like Republicans.

I will stop before I wade any further into the swamp of idealism vs.
practical reality.

Your practical advice rings true, however much it insults my idealism:
progressives should not "argue about everything with each other, accept the
leadership of a couple of the smartest, and first and foremost put their
money where their mouth is."  Good advice for upcoming Moscow and Latah
county elections and all the issues and candidates, local, state and
national, when Moscow voters will be punching those darned punch card
ballots we are still using around here.

We can fund and build a 100 billion dollar missile defense shield, but not
reliable and comprehendible voting machines and ballots?  World's Greatest
Democracy Indeed!

Ted