RE: opt out?

Doug Jones wrote,

"Do proponents of this sort of view really not hear how conflicted this
sounds? Someone out there must hear the bizarreness of this. To
(rightly) identify government controlled media as Nazi or Soviet, but
then blithely to deny the same terms to the grand flow of information
called public education is really astounding.

Does any education not also include a very wide flow of information?
Then why not get the willies when any government (mild U.S. or not)
controls that flow of information?"

It appears to me that you and Doug W are stating that because most of us
would agree that having only government-controlled (or tax-supported)
newspapers is bad, we should also agree that having government-controlled
(or tax-supported) public schools is equally bad.

Again, it's a game with straw men.  Sure, it's easy to criticize the Nazi or
Soviet press; they were the only media allowed and no competing views were
permissible. Your comparison between that system and public schools would be
valid if only public schools were permitted to exist.  Obviously that's not
the case in Moscow, Idaho, so it's not a valid comparison.

When the black helicopters drop off the rapelling stormtroopers at Logos and
try to impose a government curriculum on the students, I promise to show up
and yell, as I'm cuffed, beaten, and dragged away,
"Not with their kids you don't!"

Sunil