From: Bill Strand [mailto:strand@pacsim.com]
Sent: Thursday, 29 August, 2002 13:41
To: 'Dale Courtney'; vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: RE: Opt out? (was re. personal thoughts)

Dale,

You wrote;

“A third option would be to see that it is not the city's responsibility (or charter) to build and run a pool. If the citizens of Moscow want a pool, then it should be funded and run privately.”

The majority of the voting population of Moscow seemed to disagree with you on this point. Isn’t that the way the system is supposed to work? When due process has been observed and the majority makes its determination, we have to live with that decision. I guess it then becomes time to either live with the will of the majority or move out of town.

I have lived in several communities in the US, Canada and Sweden where I would not raise my family because of the decisions that were made by the city. However, no rules were broken, no rights were infringed upon - I just didn’t agree with the majority. Luckily, the majority thinking in Moscow regarding community development seems to mirror my own. I have lived my life in communities that funded swimming programs and am proud that Moscow has continued a practice that is common throughout the US. And to those of you who voted for the swimming pool, my family wishes to offer our thanks.

Bill Strand

Back to TOC