Re: Personal Questions

Don:

Your questions are very timely and critical!  That's a no brainer.

Perhaps the lack of a response on this list to your post is another sad
reminder that the "world's greatest democracy" has a participation rate of
voters in elections that should inspire instead the appellation "worlds
greatest democratic failure," insofar as we are the most powerful democracy,
but with a weak rate of participation of our citizens in the electoral
process.

America is sliding in a frightening manner towards the political directions
of totalitarianism and blind patriotism, as I think you imply.  A federal
judge just ruled against our current federal government's trend toward
secrecy in legal matters, declaring that, to paraphrase, "Democracy dies in
secrecy."

Of course I thought of the Vietnam War when you posed the question about
other countries banding together to oppose the totalitarian polices of the
USA.  I assume you were making a reference to the impending US strikes
against Iraq?  I am willing to bet we will launch strikes against Iraq
before this upcoming election in November, in part with the goal of
preventing a shift in Congress towards the Democrats away from the
Republican agenda.  That is, unless the economy rebounds in a major way,
thus giving the Republicans something to crow about.  The current economic
troubles portend a loss for Republicans in Congress this year, and a good
patriotic war will divert the public from this issue.  I HATE to sound so
cynical, but then I also hate to be a FOOL.

Ted