Become a First Steps Volunteer!

(Please include the following information in your newsletters, community
calendars, etc.  If you would like a flyer to post, let me know.)

Join Our Team - Become a First Steps Volunteer

Are you interested in helping families adjust to life with a new baby? Do
you like to meet new people, learn, and have fun? Then the First Steps
Volunteer position is for you. Please contact Laura Nittolo at 883-6454
for more information.

The next First Steps Volunteer Training will be on Saturday, September 21,
2002 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Gritman Medical Center.

Why I'm a First Steps Volunteer
by Melanie Person, First Steps Volunteer

Having a baby can be a very stressful time for many families and as a
First Step s volunteer I enjoy talking with new parents about their
difficulties and  concerns, as well as their fun stories about their
baby's growth. It is  rewarding to help families cope and find resources
during this stressful  time. As a First Steps volunteer I am exposed to
the process of caring for a  new born and have learned a lot of useful
information for when I have  children.   I have learned about many of the
programs offered through the  Young Children and Family office.   I really
enjoy scoring the developmental  questionnaires and reading what parents
enjoy most about their child. Being  a First Steps volunteer is a great
way to help families in our community find  the resources they need and
provide an ear for parents to talk to.

************************************
Marci Schreiber
Young Children & Family Programs